OTA on guide

Cameron3395

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
How do I get my OTA channels to show up on the guide of my 722 and 211? It works on DirecTV but not my Dish receivers. Thanks for any help.

First question. Do you subscribe to the locals from Dish? They require this for guide info.

Second, do you have an antenna connected to your 722? The DVR needs to "see" the channels, before it can add them to your guide.

Third. Have you scanned for your local stations. You need to either run a full scan for the 722 to see what channels are out there, and you can also manually add individual channels if you know their broadcast channel.

Unlike DirecTV, dish receivers do not get your OTA local channels programmed into you receiver automatcially. The receiver needs to tune them in first. Once it has seen them, they are stored in the channel guide (even if they go off the air, they are not removed).

Good luck.

Ya, my antenna is connected to receiver but the channels only say digital broadcast or something like that. Also, I do get locals just from somewhere else. We only have ABC OTA where I live and can't get NBC, CBS, and Fox so I had to "move".

It will read "Digital Service" if you don't subscribe to Dish's satellite-provided locals. Since you do, that seems to toggle a switch that says "display program guide info for OTA locals". It doesn't matter that you subscribe to one market and get another market's OTA channels. Either way, you'll only get guide data for the channels that Dish carries, i.e. the major networks.

So you're saying that the shows should be showing up on my ABC OTA since I get locals through dish even though they are somewhere else. If so, is there some setting I need to change in my settings? Thanks

Yes, it should work, however I'm not sure if the "move" is affecting you. Try deleting the channel from your receiver and then scanning to get it to work. That sometimes works.

I have heard that even if you move your "real" locals will have guide data, but that was not my experience while I was moved. All I saw was guide data for the SD and HD locals from the place I was 'moved' to.

My local locals just said digital service.

Buy the way, these are digital locals ONLY, no analog.

It will read "Digital Service" if you don't subscribe to Dish's satellite-provided locals. Since you do, that seems to toggle a switch that says "display program guide info for OTA locals". It doesn't matter that you subscribe to one market and get another market's OTA channels. Either way, you'll only get guide data for the channels that Dish carries, i.e. the major networks.
One of the Dish people actually mentioned, and confirmed, this on the chat last night. My area happens to be a good example... Depending where you live in Dayton or Cincinnati, with the right antenna, you can get digital locals from both cities. If you get Dayton locals from Dish, you will get guide data for the OTA Dayton digital channels as well as the Cincinnati digital channels. The opposite applies if you get Cincy locals from Dish....

One of the Dish people actually mentioned, and confirmed, this on the chat last night. My area happens to be a good example... Depending where you live in Dayton or Cincinnati, with the right antenna, you can get digital locals from both cities. If you get Dayton locals from Dish, you will get guide data for the OTA Dayton digital channels as well as the Cincinnati digital channels. The opposite applies if you get Cincy locals from Dish....

According to Dish, I live in one dma, while only 30 or so miles from the towers of the next dma. I subscribe to locals and get the info for most of the ota channels, just not all of them. One of the channels I do get info from is a channel that Dish does not supply. According to most of the posts here, I am not supposed to get them, but I have had them on on every HD model I have had including the 6000, 811, 921 and two 622's.

Dish doesn't determine the DMA boundaries so you could live in one DMA while people across the street are in another....

As for the channel that Dish doesn't carry, yet you guide data, yeah, that goes against everything I've seen and read unless it's a sub-channel of a station that Dish carries. My local CBS has a weather sub-channel, which Dish does NOT carry, but I do get guide data for it. When it's broke, it reads "Digital Service" but normally it reads "7 Weather Now".

Dish doesn't determine the DMA boundaries so you could live in one DMA while people across the street are in another....

As for the channel that Dish doesn't carry, yet you guide data, yeah, that goes against everything I've seen and read unless it's a sub-channel of a station that Dish carries. My local CBS has a weather sub-channel, which Dish does NOT carry, but I do get guide data for it. When it's broke, it reads "Digital Service" but normally it reads "7 Weather Now".

Scranton dma, both subchannels. 16-2 (WNEP shows accurately the replays of the local news and other locally produced programs which play on it as well as 56-3, WQMY a my network channel owned by the same company as local fox network including the pro sports AHL Hockey, Phillies, Sixers and Flyers games. Neither channel is carried by Dish. 16-3, the sd version of WNEP and all four of the Ion network channels show Digital service, even though 64-1 is exactly the same an Ion channel 181 on Dish right down to the informercials.

Well, my ABC only has digital service on the guide. Makes it harder to record. Wish it would say what's actually on.

One PBS station in DC has "Digitasl Service' on the guide---even though the suide data for the analog is there. Such is life.

My biggest complaint is that I live somewhere where dish doesn't have locals yet, so I can't legally purchase the locals. I even told dish that I would pay them a small nominal fee to get the program guide for my channels. I should just keep calling them and complaining every week to see if they change their policy for people in unserved DMA's.

Tuning OTA with remote

Slightly off topic, but is there a way to get to an OTA local channel with out bringing up the guide? I want to just enter the channel number with the remote. For example I want 11-2, which is a local weather report. I searched and could not find the answer.

If you pay for locals even if you move and you can still get your TRUE locals VIA OTA It will show Up in the guide no matter where you move too if its still showing digital service try up dating the program guide. Do a full check switch and exit all the way out of that when it is done. that should start the updating of the program guide.

Slightly off topic, but is there a way to get to an OTA local channel with out bringing up the guide? I want to just enter the channel number with the remote. For example I want 11-2, which is a local weather report. I searched and could not find the answer.

From what i have seen this is not possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts