Ota Problems With Cbs In Chicago

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

A44AA44A

Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I just can't get cbs in chicago. I have a sony kd30sx955 with the built in tunner and get 90 to 98 signal strength on all ota digital cannels but cbs. Iv'e mounted a radio shack vu 90xr on the roof. I'm at 60631 zip. Went up on the roof yesterday to make sure everything was alright. I could see the hancock and the sears tower and know i'm aimed right at them. No obstructions except i noticed a cell tower right in my signal path. Can this be the problem. I tried a winegard amp - no help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
WBBM-DT transmitts on channel 3 from the Hancock center and is a real bear to pull in.
Channel 2(WBBM) is Broadcasting their Digital on 3 ( a VHF Channel).
Alot of folks in the Chi-town Area still have trouble receiving
it ,even with a proper antenna !
Alot of Post's to sift thru at the following Link, but it will give you a idea:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398

Last edited:
WBBM-DT has applied to move to channel 11 in 2009.

Keep this in mind before you spend a lot of money receiving channel 3.

cBS 2 dIGITAL

Wow your in the city and still cant get Cbs 2. I have the same antenna with a 20 db amp on my new house in plano, il and can get cbs 2 on a voom box with some pixelation. I also have a larger channel master antenna on the shed with rotor and can get cbs 2 most of the time with a dish 811... with some dropouts about 8 an hour.

Do you have an amp on that antenna???
How high is the antenna???
What kind of coax are you using, I hope you are using at least rg6 and about how long is the cable run to the receiver from ant??

I tried a winegard chromstar 2000 preamp not sure of the model pluged it in and lost all of my signal. Probably too much. Good cable about 100' run and ant is 30' in the air. Tech at store where i got tv said it's really a fussy tv that really should be used as a monitor or cable only. I'm wondering if the tuner has a problem.
Thanks for everyones input.

Sounds like too much antenna. The VHF portion shoudl be stronger than the bowtie UHF on the front of the antenna. If your signals are high 90's you may be overdriving the one VHF channel you have.

Actually the antenna he has is terrible at low VHF.

Build yourself a dipole out of 300 ohm twinlead and use it as a temporary ch 3 antenna.

Even if WBBM moves to CH 11 the yagi you have may not pick it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts