OTA Program Descriptions

We are getting complete auto skip on all commercials this month on all Tablo Dvrs ,including older Tablo models via software. Then there will be no need for 30 second skip after this is downloaded.

Huh! Didn’t know that! So I assume then that you don’t need to press any button to skip commercials like you do with TiVo? Also, does this auto skip work on EVERY SHOW or just select shows like TiVo?

Will that work for the 8 day Dish guide?
Why wouldn't it? Granted, I doubt a station is filling 8 days, but if there's no data, display "no data".

I don't understand why people keep saying "stations don't fill out 8 days" when I bring this up. I guess they'd rather have incorrect guide data, or none, rather than at least a couple hours (if not a couple days).

Reactions: TheKrell
Why wouldn't it? Granted, I doubt a station is filling 8 days, but if there's no data, display "no data".

I don't understand why people keep saying "stations don't fill out 8 days" when I bring this up. I guess they'd rather have incorrect guide data, or none, rather than at least a couple hours (if not a couple days).

Just asked a simple question... Sorry if I bothered you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just asked a simple question... Sorry if I bothered you.
You didn't bother me. I was just trying to head off one of the normal "here's why it won't work" excuses. The other is that it would cost too much money for Dish programmers to figure out how to utilize PSIP. Those posters conveniently ignore that every TV made, regardless of how cheap, can receive and display PSIP. I don't think it's exactly brain surgery.

Huh! Didn’t know that! So I assume then that you don’t need to press any button to skip commercials like you do with TiVo? Also, does this auto skip work on EVERY SHOW or just select shows like TiVo?

From what I have read on the TABLO cord cutting email and on their website it will be ALL programs. I do think that you will have to let it record first of course before you watch it and it won't work while watching live tv. But they will use an algorithm that can detect where the commercials are because they will be louder than the normal programming and they will cut it out. Try going to the Tablo tv website and you can read up on the changes that they have made and are working on.
www.tablotv.com

The built in TV guide now longer works on my old Sony TV in the basement so I use the PSIP data. Many of the sub channels do not have any PSIP data for their content. Also PSIP data only works when you tune to that channel. So timers would not work unless you were to tune to the channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: JSheridan
The built in TV guide now longer works on my old Sony TV in the basement so I use the PSIP data. Many of the sub channels do not have any PSIP data for their content. Also PSIP data only works when you tune to that channel. So timers would not work unless you were to tune to the channels.

1) Contact the station about missing PSIP data. I'm pretty sure that's an FCC requirement.
2) I can go to "guide" on my TV and see what's airing on all OTA stations, even when I'm on the Dish input. So, no, it doesn't only work when you tune to that channel.

Reactions: TheKrell
Are you sure that the “Guide” on your TV is using the PSIP data. The “Guide” on my Newest 4K Sony TV and my Sony Living Room TV are both powered by Gracenote. The Guide on my basement Sony TV was the Gemstar TV Guide but it was discontinued. So now I have to select “Use Broadcaster Data”. This is the PSIP data and it only shows up when the channel is tuned to it. Also many of the sub channels (particularly the foreign and religious) say “No data”.

Reactions: JSheridan
Are you sure that the “Guide” on your TV is using the PSIP data. The “Guide” on my Newest 4K Sony TV and my Sony Living Room TV are both powered by Gracenote. The Guide on my basement Sony TV was the Gemstar TV Guide but it was discontinued. So now I have to select “Use Broadcaster Data”. This is the PSIP data and it only shows up when the channel is tuned to it. Also many of the sub channels (particularly the foreign and religious) say “No data”.

Well, I have Samsung TVs. If you tell me where to go to see where the "guide" data is coming from, I'd be more than happy to look. As far as I know, it's PSIP. As far as "no data", my suggestion to contact the station stands. I *THINK* it's an FCC requirement to have PSIP data. Maybe the amount of data required is limited, but I think there should be something there.

You didn't bother me. I was just trying to head off one of the normal "here's why it won't work" excuses. The other is that it would cost too much money for Dish programmers to figure out how to utilize PSIP. Those posters conveniently ignore that every TV made, regardless of how cheap, can receive and display PSIP. I don't think it's exactly brain surgery.

Nope. The TV in my RV, I think it’s a Sharp, doesn’t do PSIP. What a surprise when I found that out! I, too, thought it was a requirement.

I bought that TV to replace the original Insignia that you couldn’t see sitting down.

Well, I have Samsung TVs. If you tell me where to go to see where the "guide" data is coming from, I'd be more than happy to look. As far as I know, it's PSIP. As far as "no data", my suggestion to contact the station stands. I *THINK* it's an FCC requirement to have PSIP data. Maybe the amount of data required is limited, but I think there should be something there.

My son has a Samsung TV that he has not connected to the internet. The channel list only contains the current program description and only for the channel and subchannels that it is tuned to. It does give the data for the subchannels associated with the main frequency. For example when tuned to channel 4.1 (WCMH-NBC), it also has the info for 4.2 (MeTV), 4.3 (ION TV), and 4.4 (LAFF). The information for 6.1 (WSYX- ABC), 6.2 (MyTV), and 6.3 (Antenna TV) did no appear until the TV was tuned to 6.1. When viewing a channel you can scroll ahead and get program info for several hours ahead.
To check your TV guide source disconnect your TV from the internet for several days and chances are you will lose your TV guide.

Nope. The TV in my RV, I think it’s a Sharp, doesn’t do PSIP. What a surprise when I found that out! I, too, thought it was a requirement.

I bought that TV to replace the original Insignia that you couldn’t see sitting down.

I thought it was required in receivers & transmitters. But, now that I read some more, maybe only the transport table (station ID and program PID#'s) are required and not the guide data.

Reactions: Bobby
I live with it because I have a CMR DVR+ hooked to it, and use it with its fallback PSIP mode. No Internet (mostly) for primary guide.

I remember researching this back in the early days of digital and the requirement was the station was supposed to transmit 12 hours of guide data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)