OTA Program Guide Info Missing

Jon Giard

Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
Hi,

After scanning in the OTA channels into my Dish receiver, I noticed some of the channels appear in the program guide with no programs listed other than "digital service". Others looked okay. Is there any solution to this or is it just a technical problem with Dish? Thanks.

Jon Giard

Hi,

After scanning in the OTA channels into my Dish receiver, I noticed some of the channels appear in the program guide with no programs listed other than "digital service". Others looked okay. Is there any solution to this or is it just a technical problem with Dish? Thanks.

Jon Giard

you need to give a little more information. do you subscribe to dish locals, where are you located, what channels are missing info. Some do not supply info so they will only show digital service

I subscribe to locals (Washington DC DMA) and used to receive all my OTA channel guide info. But at some point in the past while I wasn't paying attention, our local channel 66, WPXW, channels (including 3 subchannels) went to Digital Service also. I think Tribune is messing up.

I live in Walla Walla, WA, and subscribe to Dish local channels, but they dropped CBS due to failure to reach agreement with the local network. So I put up an antenna and get UHF channels 19 (KEPR), 25 (KNDU), 31 (KTNW), 42 (KVEW) from Kennewick, WA, and on a VHF antenna, I get channel 11 (KFFX). Channels 25 and 31 show programming information okay, but 11, 19, and 42 show "digital service". Is this something Dish can do to add the info into their data base? Also, what happens if you do not subscribe to Dish local channels ....... do the OTA channels not appear in the guide...... how do you access them? Thanks.

Jon Giard

I live in Walla Walla, WA, and subscribe to Dish local channels, but they dropped CBS due to failure to reach agreement with the local network. So I put up an antenna and get UHF channels 19 (KEPR), 25 (KNDU), 31 (KTNW), 42 (KVEW) from Kennewick, WA, and on a VHF antenna, I get channel 11 (KFFX). Channels 25 and 31 show programming information okay, but 11, 19, and 42 show "digital service". Is this something Dish can do to add the info into their data base? Also, what happens if you do not subscribe to Dish local channels ....... do the OTA channels not appear in the guide...... how do you access them? Thanks.

Jon Giard

Your HD OTA channels need to match the SD locals provided by Dish, meaning the exact stations, Hd or not. If you are pulling in stations NOT provided in SD by Dish, then they will show Digital Service.

If you subscribe to Dish locals, you should get the EPG for your OTA channels as well. Dish, or Tribune (the TVGuide folks), needs to fix this. If we do not subscribe to Dish locals, then Dish does not supply the EPG for our OTA locals either. Dish has to pay Tribune for this service, which goes out to 9 days. Frankly it's one of Dish's extra fees that seems reasonable to me.

If you do not subscribe to Dish locals, then your EPG will just say "Digital Service" for all OTA stations. You can still set manual timers to record OTA locals.

Try running a check switch Menu 6-1-1. It will force the guide to update. As everyone said, you will need to sub to locals to get guide data.

S~

Your HD OTA channels need to match the SD locals provided by Dish, meaning the exact stations, Hd or not. If you are pulling in stations NOT provided in SD by Dish, then they will show Digital Service.

Not necessarily. I have a couple digital sub-stations that Dish doesn't provide but get guide data for.

S~

Thanks for the replies. The 3 channels missing program info do happen to be ones Dish does not subscribe. For some reason they provide locals from Yakima, WA which is 135 miles away, whereas, Kennewick, WA is only 45 miles away ...... the channels my antenna is receiving. And because they dropped CBS the program guide does not show CBS programming, just an "important notice" filling all time slots. I guess it's time to give them a call. Thanks.

Jon Giard

Thanks for the replies. The 3 channels missing program info do happen to be ones Dish does not subscribe. For some reason they provide locals from Yakima, WA which is 135 miles away, whereas, Kennewick, WA is only 45 miles away ...... the channels my antenna is receiving. And because they dropped CBS the program guide does not show CBS programming, just an "important notice" filling all time slots. I guess it's time to give them a call. Thanks.

Jon Giard
You may be able to go to dish.sling.com and view and setup recordings for CBS. I'm in the same boat as you and it works better for me that way.

I do get the CBS guide info a from about 2 days out and beyond - but as soon as it gets close enough to the current time in the guide, the names programs switch to 'important notice'. Check it out and see if you get it further out as well.

Not necessarily. I have a couple digital sub-stations that Dish doesn't provide but get guide data for.

S~
Something has changed recently. I now get all the digital channel info including subs, even the locals that Dish does not carry. I wonder if the 722 now gets local PSIP?

Something has changed recently. I now get all the digital channel info including subs, even the locals that Dish does not carry. I wonder if the 722 now gets local PSIP?

No. I still have a subchannel that Dish doesn't carry. I'm trying to talk them into getting the guide data since the channel is available in 49 markets now (ThisTV). No luck so far.

S~

Jon Giard

The madness of being forced to provide you with LIL's significantly farther away than those much closer, and presumably, more relevant to your community, is something Dish and satellite are trying to address with the impending expiration of the law regarding LIL's. Satellite wants the right to provide you with LIL's much closer to your location, as most subs prefer, or, in some cases, in the same state. Satellite hopes to have this preference as part of the new law currently being crafted. Contact your representatives in Congress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts