This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

OTA Program Guide

gaspower

Original poster
May 5, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Hello,,

I live in Bend Oregon and we do not get local channels on Dish Network. Does anyone know if or when we might get these channels on the box. Currently I have the external antenna, but I have to say it just put me back 50 years. There is no guide and you have to read from the paper and manually record the shows. I really do not want to go back to the local cable company that has the locals.

Thanks JR

There are no reported plans anytime soon. Medford will be going on next week.

Don't see how you went back 50 years, except that you are actually getting something for free. The picture quality on the digital/HD channels via OTA are better than what you will be supplied by any sat, cable or phone company. As far as the guide info, you could wait for the DishOnLine site for their online programing or you could look into setting up a sling box.

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I would prefer to pay for the service. What I meant was the amount of work you have to do to record a channel and not being able to record only new shows. I am not a big fan of free, always seems to be more work. I will check out the sling box.

Thank you

build yourself a coat hanger antenna with a bidirectional amp and mount it in your attic. That way it is out of site.

Then get a receiver with an OTA tuner, a DTV box, or the DTVPal DVR.

subscribe to All American Direct if you can qualify, you should then get an onscreen programming guide.

I'm surprised that even though they don't offer your local channels on Dish, they haven't at least added EPG info so that you get listings for your OTA stuff. They can certainly do that much for you if they're not going to add your locals.

I agree, it is a lot of extra work. I also have used a dvd recorder with it's own digital tuner, except that only get the current and next program on it's listings.

me too. I have the OTA connected to my 722, but I still pay for locals. The guide keeps the wife happy.

You would think they wouldn't block the guide info they way they do. They EXTORT the money out of their customers!

The locals aren't available, or you don't subscribe to them?

Try dish.sling.com if you have a sat receiver that has the internet connected, it's great for programming. I'm pretty sure I can record to my OTA channels on that, but I don't know if you need to pay for the locals to do so.