OTA receiver for Hopper with Sling

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I got a new Hopper with Sling and a Joey installed this past week. It's working great! I haven't had a problem with any of the features.

I asked the installer if he was going to install an OTA module and he said he knew nothing about receiving an over the air signal. I found from asking questions that he was well informed about the Hopper and Joey installation, but anything outside of that he had no clue.

I've called Dish twice about getting an OTA module and both times they said they don't have anything like that. I told them that I know such a unit existed and they said they didn't. On the second call I asked to speak to a supervisor when they gave me the same answer. I waited and waited and finally got disconnected.

So would someone tell me... how do I order an OTA module for my new HWS?

Larry
San Francisco

Log into your account at mydish.com and go to order from store. Now that you have a Hopper the OTA module will be listed as a part you can order, $30.

I don't understand how so many retailers and people at Dish have no idea there is an OTA tuner available for the Hopper.

I don't understand how so many retailers and people at Dish have no idea there is an OTA tuner available for the Hopper.

They should know, especially the phone people at Dish. I figure they don't know because the vast majority of installs involve one hopper and a couple of joeys and that is all.

ETA: Most people that order Cable TV don't consider attaching an antenna to their cable service. they have one wire that brings in all their stuff. It is the same with satellite--they want one wire, and one service.

As has already been stated--most folks here are power users. We are the outliers.

I am not that surprised. Many sales people I have dealt with over the years in any industry have very limited knowledge about the product(s) they are selling. They don't take the time to research, learn and understand what they are selling or in the case of technicians, what they are installing or repairing. The members of Satellite Guys and other forums I read are well informed and in the minority IMHO. The "senior" tech (sub) that swapped out my Hopper for a HWS last week did not realized that the remotes backed up all the settings and timers. I think that would be something a tech should and would know. I also think that feature would help his customers. Just my two cents :)

We also sell antennas and install them so we mention the OTA module a lot. We actually have a lot of customers that we install with both. It's really one of the most undervalued features that Dish offers in my opinion.

Thanks Kevin and Halo for the info. My OTA receiver has been ordered and is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.

Larry

How can that be true? Dish CSR's told you they don't have such a thing...........

And what lesson have we been reminded about here? USE DIRT or ASK HERE FIRST.....

When I order my HWS I also asked for the OTA adapter. Cost me $30. When the installer came I asked where the OTA adapter was. He said what is an OTA adapter? So he called Dish and asked where my OTA adapter was. He was super cool and tried to get Dish to send me one for free and waive the $30. Dish agent would not budge though. A few days later it came in the mail.

I just now have to purchase an antenna and run some cable to my Hopper.

Question though ... don't mean to hijack the thread ... could I connect the antenna to the Joey and it still work for the Hopper as far as recording and the like? It would be easier for me to run an antenna where my Joey is.

Question though ... don't mean to hijack the thread ... could I connect the antenna to the Joey and it still work for the Hopper as far as recording and the like? It would be easier for me to run an antenna where my Joey is.
Sorry, no.

I wish I could have ordered the OTA module while I was waiting on the HWS installation. I guess I understand that they didn't want me to order it unless they were sure I could use it, but I could have sent it back if the HWS installation had been unsuccessful. I missed at least one season finale in HD from the local CW channel because I had to wait to order the module after the installation.

Unless your TV is quite old or is just a monitor, you could have connected the OTA antenna directly to the TV to watch the CW.

Thanks; you are absolutely right. However, we were weeks behind in our viewing, so we depend on the DVR capturing the show and storing it until we are ready for it. I'm sure that the season finale will be shown again before the new season starts, and if not, I can also spend a couple of bucks to catch it via Amazon.

Therefore, for me, not being able to order the OTA module to arrive by the HWS installation date was a minor inconvenience, whereas for those who order a Hopper during the fall/winter/spring television season, it can be a significant problem.

There's always Amazon or dishdepot.com or Solid Signal for those that want the OTA dongle ahead of time :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

We also sell antennas and install them so we mention the OTA module a lot. We actually have a lot of customers that we install with both. It's really one of the most undervalued features that Dish offers in my opinion.

especially for the movers and shakers out there ;)

I am not that surprised. Many sales people I have dealt with over the years in any industry have very limited knowledge about the product(s) they are selling.
For the most part, they are paid to read scripts. Deviating from the scripts and/or offering insights is generally discouraged. Welcome to "customer service" in the 21st century where they hope that the gap between humans and cheap AI engines passes unnoticed.

Well, UPS delivered my OTA dongle today (the item that the folks at Dish said didn't exist... LOL). I connected it up in a matter of minutes, the HWS rebooted, I did a scan and got 88 sub-channels listed!! I think it's working just fine. (That 88 sub-channels includes 20 from one station, KAXT, in San Jose.)

Larry

Well, UPS delivered my OTA dongle today (the item that the folks at Dish said didn't exist... LOL). I connected it up in a matter of minutes, the HWS rebooted, I did a scan and got 88 sub-channels listed!! I think it's working just fine. (That 88 sub-channels includes 20 from one station, KAXT, in San Jose.)

Larry
7 of those are audio only. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAXT-CA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)