OTA reception via receiver or HDTV ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gjh3260

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
New Brighton, Minnesota
Prior to getting the VIP211 HD receiver from Dish i got my local HD programming via my indoor antenna hooked up to the HDTV. When i got my 211 i also subscribed to the local channels via DISH and also hooked up the antenna via the 211. (It seems the PQ is better when watching the locals via the OTA antenna as opposed to the satellite reception)

Recently I have noticed more pixelation and signal breakups/loss especially recently when watching the locals via the OTA thru the 211 then when i had the OTA hooked up thru the HDTV. Is there a reason for this ? I dont remember having this many breakups when the OTA antenna was hooked up directly to the TV.

There is a better OTA Tuner in your TV? Was yout OTA antenna hooked up directly to your SAT Receiver or did you use a Diplexor? Direct Connection is better.

I wish OTA was supported better in DISH Receivers - Especially when DISH doesn't provide my locals here in Indiana.

My Sony TV's OTA tuner is superior to those in both the 811 I had connected to it, and the 622 that is currently connected. I have little available to me in HD OTA at this time so it's a moot point for me - I just leave that antenna connected to the TV.

Why not just reconnect your OTA antenna directly to your TV? You'll lose the ability to select those channels via the 211 of course, but if PQ is your biggest priority then that solution seems obvious for now. The other possibility is to optimize your current antenna, or upgrade it. An inexpensive outdoor antenna sounds like a viable option for you...

gross67.......the connection to the receiver is direct, not thru a diplexor. I have a feeling the tuner in my Samsung is superior to that in the Dish receiver and will probably change and reconnect it back to the TV. I have 2 digital audio inputs on my receiver so the audio wont be compromised.

The Terk 5 is amplified so i turned the amp off yesterday and have not had any problems with signal loss/breakups since. I am only about 5 or 6 miles from the transmission towers so maybe having the amp on was causing problems.

I hear ya about the Terk. If the problems return I will be looking for another brand of antenna.

For what its worth, I experienced the exact same situation with my "Direct T.V." H21 Receiver. When OTA was ran through it, I got lots of signal loss/pixelation. Decided to run roof antenna Directly to the Sony HDTV and use its tuner and what a difference. Am currently having other issues concerning the particular antenna that I chose, but thats a whole other story. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)