OTA Set Top Box not on the shelf - Retail store confrontations

ciwsguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Today, I stopped into two different local retailers (Wally World & Radio Shack) browsing to see if they have any of the ATSC OTA Digital to Analog converter boxes on the shelf or to find out if they planned to stock them. Neither had any, but their responses to my inquiries were quite revealing. Both store department managers asked "may help you"? I said sure. I'm looking for the D to A TV set top converter box and wanted to know if they had any.

First, Wally World's response:
No, said the Dept Mgr. Why would you want that? Because I want one, I said. No need for that yet, said the MGR. You won't need that until 2009. I asked him why they hadn't started stocking the DtoA TV converter boxes for redemption of the Gov't coupons. Didn't get a straight answer, but "we don't have them and don't plan to stock them to my knowledge anytime soon. You might want to try one of the local high-end retailers like Radio Shack." :confused: This guy thinks that RS is a high-end retailer? :D:D:D So on to RS I went. Nothing surprising here, was there?

And now RS:
Went in and asked the same question - got any DtoA TV converter settop boxes? The guy (who turned out to be the store manager) got quite testy in his tone of voice. "You don't need that now" was his response and he didn't have any, nor did he plan to have any until about January 2009, just prior to the cutoff of analog TV. This guy got rather PO'd in his tone of voice about the Gov't holding a gun to the head of the broadcasters, TV manufacturers and retail stores about having to do the conversion of Analog TV to Digital. I wasn't testy in my responses or questions, but his sometimes angry responses shocked me. He asked me "why do you want it now, you don't need it for another year?" I said because although I already own a HDTV with integrated tuner and receive free OTA HDTV, I have several analog TV's that can't pickup the other digital channels that you can't receive on analog. (Duhhhhhh!) I literally could see the lightbulb go on over his head as he realized there is value NOW in stocking the DtoA TV STB. I asked him if he could get the DtoA converter boxes now, and he said no, their distributors don't yet have them. He did tell me that once I get my Gov't coupon to redeem to come in and he'll see if he can order the boxes.

This is just a small sampling of the episode of the DtoA TV STBs. The retailers apparently don't want to stock them and don't think they need to for another year. They're WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Are you listening retailers?????????????????????
Are you listening manufacturers?????????????????????
Are you listening FCC?????????????????????

Frustration is building. This has been a very poorly managed transition. Don't know to whom we can complain, but if pressure is placed upon the retailers by the CONSUMERS (that's US folks), it likely won't get any better. So I suggest that anyone wanting one of the STB's start hounding your retailers. When demand is realized in a free economy such as ours, it is usually met.

Start hounding, folks!

You do realize that stores have NO obligation to stock/sell these boxes ? And knowing Wal-Mart's concept of stocking items, I can't see them stocking them anytime soon. They will NOT move a whole lot until January or more likely, after February.

Did you read the DTV website? It says they won't be available for a couple of months.
Of course I did. I know that. I was just gauging what the retailers would say. The "gun to the head" reply from RS really surprised me though.

They're WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Are you listening retailers?????????????????????
Are you listening manufacturers?????????????????????
Are you listening FCC?????????????????????

Start hounding, folks!

I echo the above replies, BUT REALLY, whats the beef? Too much coffee today or something? I guess you expect retailers to have things at your whim before finalized and the distribution is ready? UH, NO!

Have you had ANY experience in national distribution or retail purchasing? I bet no.

"Just in-time delivery"? That is the moto these days.

Just calm down a bit and wait; its all good. Now if they are not on shelves by late summer 2008 then we should start to ask calm questions. By late fall 2008, maybe gear up the questions, but not yet.

Did you read the DTV website? It says they won't be available for a couple of months.
And even with that, I joked with a co-worker that the gov't will start mailing the coupons when they get word that the units are on the boat from China. That takes weeks....

Isn't questioning Wal-Mart and Radio Shack employees about technical things tantamount to kicking puppies?

I think asking middle managers in retail humongo-chains, who really have absolutely no say over what the store carries and when, about a product that is unavailable in the entire CONTINENT to be a silly undertaking. I understand that some markets currently have secondary digital channels not available with regular TV and just for that reason a D-A converter box is a desireable thing. But a wal-mart department manager cannot, by the nature of the business order up a product the company doesn't sell yet.
See ya
Tony

I don't think that's what he meant by "regular TV". He meant older, analog TV. The secondary channels are the weather sub-channels or like with many PBS stations, multiple (I have 4-5) different sub-channels.

I foresee a catch 22 this spring where you have in your hand a coupon that expired before the boxes were available in the stores.

Chapter1, that is exactly what I meant. NTSC TVs cannot receive secondary channels and that is the draw. In this market the CW is actually a sub-channel (12.2). It's on cable and DirecTV (not on Dish Network--Surprise!) but to get it over the air you need an ATSC tuner.

Our local PBS 48 has PBS world on its sub-channel. It used to have PBS HD on the main digital channel with a unique schedule to the NTSC channel, but that ended this year (it sucks!). The other two PBS channels have 4 SD channels or 1 HD and 2 SD channels going each all the time.

Essentially all the local channels have at least one sub-channel except the MyTV affiliate.
(64). So, to me that is enough reason to want an ATSC to analog converter box for my regular TVs (if I still had any).

See ya
Tony

I echo the above replies, BUT REALLY, whats the beef? Too much coffee today or something? I guess you expect retailers to have things at your whim before finalized and the distribution is ready? UH, NO!

Have you had ANY experience in national distribution or retail purchasing? I bet no.

"Just in-time delivery"? That is the moto these days.

Just calm down a bit and wait; its all good. Now if they are not on shelves by late summer 2008 then we should start to ask calm questions. By late fall 2008, maybe gear up the questions, but not yet.
Dude,
I work for the Feds. I know how they are - pure Crisis Managers. You wanna wait for that crisis? Not me. I'm being pro-active by griping about it and letting a retailer know I want something.

I am not too worried about these DTV Coupon Compliant Set Top Boxes. I already signed up for two coupons, and even if they are not available locally, I'd be willing to bet that Amazon.com or other online retailers will sell them, likely with free shipping, reducing or eliminating all non-coupon costs.

If nothing else, I would be happy enough to order an Echostar TR-40 directly, if E* offers that option. Or, will any of the dealers who work with SatelliteGuys.US have a TR-40 for sale? I'd even be willing to use my coupon at DishStore.Net to help support this site. Perhaps DishStore would even be able to throw in a few extra cables (depending what is included with the TR-40).

I do have a TV that uses analog TVGOS, and it's hooked up to analog cable, so it should be okay, but if analog cable is ever turned off, or if the cable simply goes out for an extended time period, it will be nice to have a TR-40 to take a digital TVGOS and convert it back to analog TVGOS.

Well we have 4 tvs, actually 5 but the one is a hdtv and already hooked up to a hd receiver,
but we had to order 2 coupons for 2 tvs, now get this i had to appeal to see if i could get 2 more coupons, since we have 4 tvs that will need converter boxes, if it isn't appealed,my brother is going to order the coupons so all 4 of our tvs will have a converter box. it will be intresting to hook up my converter box, i will need another cable to hook up my tv considering its already hooked up to my dish receiver but i don't get the locals on that receiver. so i still need the converter box.

I smell fish. Bob, is that you?

No, it's not. I have 27+ years with DoD and am really sick of the Gov't way of doing business. LOTS of Pentagon Politics, though it isn't supposed to be that way in Civil Service.

Typical Gov't way: Don't be proactive. Ignore problems. Don't plan for contingency. Wait for the crisis to develop. When the crisis happens, blame someone else for not doing their job (on the other side of the aisle, of course).

I applied for the Gov't coupons, and I do intend to redeem them for the bare-bones STB's. If they don't pan out, I'll buy one out-of-pocket with more bells and whistles, maybe a DVD Recorder. Anyway, my intent of this post was to raise some interest in the private sector that some of us really DO want the STB's. The DGOS attitude of the RS guy really got me PO'd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)