OTA signal always lost when Satellite signal is lost

This has bugged me for quite some time. I've not tried Menu/Guide but have tried bringing up the guide directly to no avail. Once in a while the guide will appear at which time I can chose the OTA channel and continue. Part of the 722 code must be old school in that if the satellite signal is lost, it's not really interested in letting you do anything like view the guide or change channels. It apparently assumes all is lost and you should just wait. So, when storms are coming, I'll tune to an OTA ahead of time and leave it there. That never fails. I can see in the PIP window that the satellite is out. As long as I don't switch to that view, I'm OK.

Thanks for all the responses, and sorry for the delay. My military service required a long stint of service for the past two days in between my short time to post this initial question. Alas, the storms are gone and I can chill out again.

Whilst I do not entirely remember the number on the DVR (it's at my parents, not my house), their online account equipment lists the receivers as VIP612 and VIP211K. Both of these have the same issue at the same time and are on two separate antennas.

Funny note, one antenna on the west side of their house gets Oklahoma channels and the antenna on the eastern side of their house gets Arkansas channels. There's about 100 feet of separation, maybe. I snicker every time.

From reviewing the apparent discussion, I'm not sure the relevance of the 612 since the 211 has the same issue?

They will be on OTA when the SAT still has signal expecting it to go down. SAT loses signal. 739 error pops up. SAT gets signal back a few seconds later. All is fine. Few minutes later, SAT loses signal, same thing. I did not test two different OTA channels, though.

But, I can say that the 739 did occur on one receiver (612) while the OTA was directly into the TV that the 211 was on. That test, the OTA direct didn't lose its signal but the receiver errored.

EDIT:
And, would this issue go away if they upgraded to newer equipment like the 722? The 922 costs $200, so would be pointless.

Last edited:
From reviewing the apparent discussion, I'm not sure the relevance of the 612 since the 211 has the same issue?

They will be on OTA when the SAT still has signal expecting it to go down. SAT loses signal. 739 error pops up. SAT gets signal back a few seconds later. All is fine. Few minutes later, SAT loses signal, same thing. I did not test two different OTA channels, though.

But, I can say that the 739 did occur on one receiver (612) while the OTA was directly into the TV that the 211 was on. That test, the OTA direct didn't lose its signal but the receiver errored.

EDIT:
And, would this issue go away if they upgraded to newer equipment like the 722? The 922 costs $200, so would be pointless.

Error won't go away with different DVR's.

There are a couple things here that strike me as odd. First off, the "distance" giving different locals sounds like maybe they are grabbing locals from a distance with the antenna, meaning they are in weak signal area (digital signal is weird in general). Are they using an inline amplifier or amplified antenna at each location? You said each location in the house had its own antenna, but are they the same model antenna? Same amplification, etc? Knowing what equipment is attached (brand and model) we could likely determine if this is the best antenna for the job. Its possible the TV does not need much signal to 'keep' that signal but the receivers need more (or in some cases less).

They are two different types of OTA's. However, I believe both to have amplifiers. I really don't know the details but I recall one having the amplifier built into the device where the other one has an amplifier attached to the cable running between the OTA and the DVR. They are both up in the attic. I ran two separate, extra cables down through the walls to have them up there...

I am guessing they are out in the McAlester area of Eastern Oklahoma and picking up Tulsa and Ft Smith locals. They would be on the fringe of both dma's and need large outdoor antenna's.

Negative, they are in Fort Smith dead and center. That's what makes it humorous because the eastern side of the house is getting Oklahoma and the western is getting Arkansas, which is the opposite to actual state positions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)