OTA signal differences in HR10-250 tuners?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RJLechner

Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Good evening everyone!

I'm having an unusual issue with one of my my HR10-250 receivers, and I am at my wits end trying to figure it out. I'm hoping that this is something that the wisdom of the collective group can help me out with.

Approximately 3 days ago, I noticed that my local ABC OTA HD channel began pixelating badly, and the frame rate appeared to stall to between 2-3 frames per second. I never seem to lose the signal completely, just horrible reception. I went to the OTA Signal Strength screen to check the OTA signal strength, and found something that I've never seen before. Tuner 1 displays a consistently strong signal (usually anywhere from the high 80's to the low 90's), but Tuner 2 displays a weak signal (usually low 50's to mid 60's). Occasionally I saw the signal strength on Tuner 2 drop into the 10's, and even zeroed out once or twice.

My first thought was that there must be something wrong with my OTA Tuner 2, so I began comparing the two OTA tuner signals on the rest of my local OTA HD channels, and only found a discrepancy of 3-5 points on average between tuners, with signal strength anywhere from the mid 80's to mid 90's on each of those channels. The only channel that this appears to be an issue with is my local ABC HD channel (Channel 9 in Dallas). If I remember correctly, my towers in Cedar Hill are approximately 35 miles from my house (unobstructed and on top of a hill).

I have a second HR10-250 in the house, and just for kicks, I checked the OTA HD signal strength for the ABC HD channel on that HD DVR, and both signals were within 3-5 points, ranging from the high 80's to the low 90's. The source of the OTA feed from my antenna is split in the attic and sent to both HD DVR's, with approximately the same length of cable run going to both (the HD DVR in question might have a 10 foot shorter run than the living room). I've checked and reseated the connections from my wall to the HD DVR, to the television, etc., even tried rebooting the HD DVR, with no luck.

I can get the OTA HD signal for the ABC HD channel without any problem using Tuner 1, but the wife sometimes gets confused when flipping between tuners. I'm assuming that if there was a problem with my OTA Tuner 2, that it wouldn't work on any HD channels, not just the ABC HD channel. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to try and fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try having only the HR10 your having trouble with connected to the antenna? Disconnect the other one and see what happens. If you are getting the other channels IMO its not the tuners.--Ray

If it's any consolation, anytime I see problems in my OTA with the HR10-250, I check the signal strength and it's always tuner 2 with the drop just like what you saw.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)