OTA Signal Intermittent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hooks61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I have a local PBS channel through my OTA antenna that the signal comes and goes. At times I will have 80 to 85 signal strength for an hour or two. Suddenly the signal strength will drop to 0 to 5 and remain like that for a few hours. Then the signal will come back to full strength again.
What are the possible causes for this type of intermittent signal? Is this a station issue?
I have a winegard antenna that has the coax diplexed into the sat coax on the roof and then diplexed back out at my HD10-250. I tried running directly into my TV receiver and had the same problem so I ruled out my DVR as the issue.
I will try running a coax direct from antenna to dvr but I don't think that is the problem.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

As someone who has been through a million antennas (tongue firmly planted in cheek), I will offer this advice...

• Get rid of the diplexers on both ends. The diplexers rob the signal strength.
  • The problem is probably a multipath issue. I am experiencing it on one station in the Detroit area right now.
  • OTA can be maddening. One antenna works great for all but one station...replace it and another one will be an issue.

hooks61 said:
I have a local PBS channel through my OTA antenna that the signal comes and goes. At times I will have 80 to 85 signal strength for an hour or two. Suddenly the signal strength will drop to 0 to 5 and remain like that for a few hours. Then the signal will come back to full strength again.

I had a simular problem to yours, I changed cables, and put new connectors on, that made no improvement. Finally I changed out the 300 to 75 ohm transformer, on the antenna end and my signal strength went up to a steady strong signal. I am about 40 miles from the majority of the locals HD antennas. It may not be your problem, but is a possibility for your problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)