OTA Signal Meter

My replacement for my long standing, go-to SLM is one from Applied Instruments XR-3. Not cheap. but not real expensive, especially if you can find a buy on eBay. Those I have see have the satellite module installed that you can sell separately, then purchase new, the OTA module to save some $$ on the package;

The MER function, what I now realize is very important, more so then just level (which any dime a dozen meter will show) when it comes to multipath issues. Levels that 'look' good, but actual reception is not so.

The downside is it's ATSC 1. It will work with ATSC 3 for level and their very limited SA function, but you loose the MER and the BER functions. I don't know if they have plans for a ATSC 3 module or not.

SA's are also a excellent tool, but these smaller hand held units really don't cut it. Full size units can't (safely) be used up on a roof (of course).
P1220410.JPG

This is a good option:

Attachments

• 598585 - H30 Evolution Flyer.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
If you have an old windows laptop, you can add a Hauppauge USB wintv dongle ($70) and the signal meter app. Shows the signal strength, quality, error rate (both corrected & uncorrected)

Cons: hard to see in bright daylight, and hard to manage up on a roof or ladder.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts