OTA Signal Strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bayzbol44

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Carpentersville, IL
What signal strength should I expect from my antenna? Yesterday I was getting about 70 on a few stations. When I did a scan on my Dish Network receiver (622), it said it found about 16 channels. But only a few of them had a any type of signal strength and just a couple around 68 or 70. Is this OTA worth keeping? This is the first OTA I have tried. The OTA is: RCA Amplified HDTV Antenna Model: AND525. I live in zip code 60110. Unfortunately I really do not understand the whole antennaweb website. Can anyone tell me if they think a indoor antenna will get me most of my local stations?

I've been experimenting with my OTA tuner and antenna on my 622 recently so I'll try and offer whatever assistance I can.

Is OTA worth keeping? I would say absolutely yes! It doesn't cost you anything and digital OTA picture quality is far superior to the compressed HD local nets that Dish offers (if they have them in your area). The other added bonus is that you now have a 3rd tuner to record from, which comes in handy when you want to avoid recording timer conflicts.

OK that said, if your getting 16 channels (albeit only 2 with steady lock) with an indoor antenna you'll probably do a lot better with an outdoor one. I use a Channel Master 4228 (highly recommended by most) with very limited results - but I attribute that to my particular reception situation, which sucks. I get no reception at all from an indoor antenna. If an outdoor antenna is not an option for you, you might try experimenting and upgrading your indoor antenna - The best out there include the Silver Sensor and the Winegard Sharp Shooter. I'm sure others can chime in here with their favorites.

What problem were you having with the Antennaweb.org site? Once you plug in your address, go to the results page. You will find a conservative estimate of the channels you can receive and the distance and direction (compass heading) the transmitters are relative to your home. Once you decide which channels you would like to receive. the antenna web results color code system tells you what kind of antenna you need (and which direction to point it) to receive it. In your case (blue, violet) it looks like you'll need a large, outdoor, directional antenna pointed to 118 degrees, with an amplifier for best results (same type of antenna as me - I recommend the Channel Master 4228 with Channel Master 7777 amplifier). Like I said, Antennaweb offers a conservative estimate - you may be able to do just as well with a lesser antenna or no amp.

Hope this helps...

Thanks. This does help. With antennaweb, I guess I dont even understand where it says I need an outdoor one. Is that based on how far the towers are? Is a 70 signal strength too weak?

You need at least a 80 signal to receive adequate digital reception. Most of your towers are 37 miles away so a good outdoor antenna will probably be needed. Looks like you will also need a combination uhf vhf antenna since a few of your stations are in the lower band.

snaggerbob said:
Looks like you will also need a combination uhf vhf antenna since a few of your stations are in the lower band.

Snagger,

The 622 Ota tuner is (ATSC) digital only. All of bayzbol44's digital stations are in the UHF band so VHf/UHF combo really isn't necessary right now. That said, in the not too distant future when the digital stations go VHF (2009?) the CM4228 will still be a viable antenna because, although it's marketed as a UHF only antenna, it is capable of receiving higher numbered (7-13) VHF stations. BTW, the CM7777 amp is UHF/VHF if he decides to amplify as well.

snaggerbob said:
Looks like you will also need a combination uhf vhf antenna since a few of your stations are in the lower band.

Snagger,

The 622 OTA tuner is (ATSC) digital only. All of bayzbol44's digital stations are in the UHF band so VHF/UHF combo really isn't necessary right now. That said, in the not too distant future when the digital stations go VHF (2009?) the CM4228 will still be a viable antenna because, although it's marketed as a UHF only antenna, it is capable of receiving higher numbered (7-13) VHF stations. BTW, the CM7777 amp is UHF/VHF if he decides to amplify as well.

BigFella - I guess I'm in the same situation as you. I get one set of digitals OTA very well from 35 miles with an old combination antenna and B-T high gain preamp and rotator, but that's about it. There are several other co-located digitals, all UHF, at about 25 miles at a different heading from the one group I get. I once got these long enough that both my TV and my 811 scanned them in. They lasted about a week then "disappeared" again. My 622 has never received them, at least never well enough to lock. I'm sure they're still there, I'm just in a bad location on the wrong side of the ridge to get them reliably.

I bought a 4228 thinking that alone would make a difference, but it really didn't. I can get that same group of channels I was already getting on the old system with the unamplified 4228, but that's about it. (It also receives my analog Ch10 but not very well.) I just ordered the 7777 and new cable hoping those will be the final additions to a working system. I realize I may still have to play with antenna location and height.

My questions for you - Do you have the 7777 preamp? If so, did you try the 4228 before you added the preamp, and if so how much difference did the preamp make?

bazbol44 - Sorry to shanghai your thread, but I think this is all relevant. In any case I hope to have some more favorable news to report from a marginal situation within a week or so...!

TIA all, and BRgds...

Last edited:
Hey bhelms,

It's nice to know I'm not alone out there. I started a thread yesterday that explains my situation in more detail - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=71059
Yes, I did install a CM7777. It did nothing for me, but I know a lot of people in these threads and on other sites swear by it. Hope it works for you! Let us know. BTW, I use all quad shield cable and I've minimized the run as much as possible (30-40 ft).

Rick,

Thanks for your valued input here and on my other thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts