Ota Signal Strength

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Hello everyone I have a problem I would like to ask everyone. How can I have two diffrent OTA signal quality and strenghts on two diffrent tvs in the same house with two Voom boxes? Unless there is something wrong with the rg6 cable.. Thanks for any help Cya Slick

Slick said:
Hello everyone I have a problem I would like to ask everyone. How can I have two diffrent OTA signal quality and strenghts on two diffrent tvs in the same house with two Voom boxes? Unless there is something wrong with the rg6 cable.. Thanks for any help Cya Slick

The newest firmware revision changed the scale and if one STB has newer firmware than the other, then signal strength will differ quite a bit. Then you have variables such as cable length, STB sensitivity, etc. Are the receivers both running the .68 firmware? How different are the signal strengths? Are you measuring the same channel on both? Lastly, try switching the cables at the multiswitch - perhaps one port is stronger than the other.

What was happening was I could get OTA channel 7 on the big screen but not at all on the other tv, and that made no sense to me..

I will try some of your suggestions and see if it makes any diffrence, I am kinda new at the set up menus on the Voom box and I dont wanna screw any of the settings up.. I will post back here and tell you what happenes thanks for your help.. Cya Slick

Well I tried going thru the setting and the only diffrence I noticed between the two Voom boxes in the settings was the Standby was 16 hours old and the one that is picking up the over the air signal was 2 hours old..

I also switched the cables on the splitter and nothing changed.. The secure current firmware is the same on both Voom boxes VI6, the signal power is 0 on this tv and 30 on the other and they are both feed off the same rg6 cable..

I did notice there was a big diffrence in the seriel card number displayed in the settings the first three numbers of the box that is not picking up the OTA signal at all is 594 and the one that is 636.. Is the 636 a newer Voom box????

I also noticed that the installer had no phone line connected to the Voom box that is not picking up OTA signal, so I connected a line up to it just in case... Well I tried so if you have any other ideas I could use the help.. I also made a appointment for a Voom service guy to come out and see what the problem is but that aint untill July 1st.. Thanks for your help.. Cya Slick

Sean the off air power number is 0 and the off air quality number is like 15..

The Big screen tv the other Voom box is 35 to 40 power and 20 to 30 quality..

I have not gotten my OTA issues work out yet, like getting all my channels but I figure if I am only getting one channel you would think I could get that on both tvs..

The rg6 cable run is the same may be a foot or two diffrence but not enough to make a diffrence..
Well if you have any advice I would appericate it as always..Cya Slick

Hey I see where BBTKD said he has .68 firmware so why would I have VI6 secure firmware???

Slick said:
Sean the off air power number is 0 and the off air quality number is like 15..

The Big screen tv the other Voom box is 35 to 40 power and 20 to 30 quality..

I have not gotten my OTA issues work out yet, like getting all my channels but I figure if I am only getting one channel you would think I could get that on both tvs..

The rg6 cable run is the same may be a foot or two diffrence but not enough to make a diffrence..
Well if you have any advice I would appericate it as always..Cya Slick

have you tried to switching the receivers? Get the one that is not getting OTA to the line that is getting OTA. I am just trying to isolate the problem.

The problem could be:

1-a diplexer
2- an ota module or
3- a receiver.

Sean here is how the cables are coming in the house the antenna has its own cable and the Voom dish has two cables off it all three cables come into the house to a digital 4 way multi switch..

When it leaves the Multi switch there are only two cables going to each Voom box, so I changed the cable postions after the multi switch and left them that way and the same problem occurred.. So wouldent that elminate the multi switch as being part of the problem?

You mentioned the OTA Mogdule, I dont know where thats at, on second thought, that wouldent happen to be the little square thing that is before the multi switch and on the OTA cable coming from the antenna and is plug into a outlet? I went and check the name on it and it is called a power injector? the size of it is 1"x1"..

I am starting to think it may be a reciever because right now I am getting 2,4,7,62, on the big screen instead of one channel like usual, and the othertv is getting no OTA the channels..

Well tell me what you think?

Slick said:
Sean here is how the cables are coming in the house the antenna has its own cable and the Voom dish has two cables off it all three cables come into the house to a digital 4 way multi switch..

When it leaves the Multi switch there are only two cables going to each Voom box, so I changed the cable postions after the multi switch and left them that way and the same problem occurred.. So wouldent that elminate the multi switch as being part of the problem?

You mentioned the OTA Mogdule, I dont know where thats at, on second thought, that wouldent happen to be the little square thing that is before the multi switch and on the OTA cable coming from the antenna and is plug into a outlet? I went and check the name on it and it is called a power injector? the size of it is 1"x1"..

I am starting to think it may be a reciever because right now I am getting 2,4,7,62, on the big screen instead of one channel like usual, and the othertv is getting no OTA the channels..

Can you get a picture of this multiswitch? I also think that it may be the receiver.

Slick said:

I'd check the coax in..make sure the cable in is NOT going to the the UHF/VHF, my lame installer did that! My sig was 30 and now with the cable put in the corrcet input the signal power is 75! I'm getting all the channels I was missing.

Hello there Sean I just sent you a picture of the multi switch, in a e-mail when we were talking about Voom stock.. Let me know if you get it alright, and if you dident I can send it to you to a diffrent email address..

I misspoke myself in a earlier post there is three cables coming into the house and into the multi switch 2-from the Voom dish and one from the antenna, on the other side of the multi switch only two cables coming out of it, one cable to each Voom box and thats it..

Hey Sean what do you think about a reboot lke that one forum user suggested?

and to the other forum user that asked if he connected to the right imput on the Voom box he did the connection is at the bottom right corner of the box..

as always thanks guys for your help, I will get these ironed out with your guys help that is why I like forums so much, there always helpfull.. Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)