OTA signal test

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scotsmanron

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Florida
I'm requesting a signal test to get my HD waivers. I live about two miles from an airport plus the city is between me and all of the towers.

My question is how do they measure and what are the units of measurement that are being read. I want to be there when they do it and I want to have some idea of what they are doing.

Can they say, "Well, get a bigger OTA antenna!!" and be done with it, or how does that work?

Last edited:
I can't answer anything specifically, but what I know about those tests are that they use a tall antenna to measure it, taller than a single story roof, iirc.

If you post your distance to the towers in question, you may get some better info on what to expect from the test from the pros on here.

Good luck.

I know its not some 2 1/2 story job; it is set at some "typical height". AND there is no HD waiver process, the reading will be based on the reception grade from the regular SD signals. What is your zip code?

charper1 said:
I know its not some 2 1/2 story job; it is set at some "typical height". AND there is no HD waiver process, the reading will be based on the reception grade from the regular SD signals. What is your zip code?

Yea, based on what what I remember reading, it wasn't quite that tall, all I recall from the post I read, was that the poster stated the antenna they brought for the test was higher than the roof antenna he already had on his single story roof.

P.S. scotsmanron

Are you requesting this test privately, or in conjunction with DirecTV due to a denial of a waiver conducted through DirecTV?

I'm in 32305, but it's a very large zip code. I'm doing this in conjuction with a D* denial. The installer came to put in the OTA and when he got to the house he told me it totally worthless to try in my location.

I don't know if I could get my SD where I am or not, but I doubt it. I tried with rabbit ears just to see what I could get and I couldn't get a thing. I realize that they aren't as good as a roof top, but not getting any signal I figured was an indicator that I wouldn't do a whole lot better unless I spent real bucks.

Does anyone know if they will charge me for this and/or how much?

Oh, and I'm about 22 miles from the closest tower, but the city is in between me and all of the towers and this is a hilly area. I'm also only two miles from the main airport, right in the main flight path.

Last edited:
The results I get for 32305 show you close to South Monroe Street @ Apalachee Parkway in Tallahassee; so that places the airport to the SW of that zip while the tower locations are to the NE.

WCTV (CBS) & WTWC (NBC) towers are physically located near METCALF , GA (BLUE STAR) some 30 miles away and one UHF / one VHF. ABC is in the same 43 - 45 degree heading at about the same distance. WTLH (FOX) is also in the same direction & distance but I did not see their DIGITAL tower spec, but did see a FCC construction permit; are they broadcasting digital yet? WFSU (PBS) & WTLF (IND) are much closer but in the other direction; 275/325 heading.

I think the only worthless thing was the installer and that cheap-o antenna he had. Seems you need a quality, roof-top, med/long-range, VHF/UHF combo. Like maybe:

Channel Master CM 3678
Channel Master CM 4242
Winegard HD 7084P
Winegard PR 7042

Attachments

• map.gif
    map.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Our Fox is WTLH.

I live approximately two miles to the east of the airport, and a little to the south.

I'm beginning to think that the installer just didn't want to do the install!!!

I'm going to call D* and get them back out here, which one of those antennas is best for OTA? I want to have it in the box and ready.

scotsmanron said:
I'm going to call D* and get them back out here, which one of those antennas is best for OTA? I want to have it in the box and ready.

That is VERY user specific and somewhat subjective seeing everyone's setup is different, but you could find something comparable to the ones I listed (or those exact) at a local store so you can return it if its not big enough.

In that case I'll try to get one at Radio Shack as they seem to be about as inexpensive as anyone around here. I know that they will take them back.

If it were me, I would look at the minimum required in terms of distance and get the next one up.

If I can get D* to cable it I'm going to. I'm not really wild about a big OTA but I want HD OTA. MY SO is gonna give me a fit over this!! LOL!!!

scotsmanron said:
If I can get D* to cable it I'm going to. I'm not really wild about a big OTA but I want HD OTA. MY SO is gonna give me a fit over this!! LOL!!!

Just remind her that bigger is better.

OK, here's the deal. I called Friday night as I knew I was going to be on a while. But I not only called about the OTA problem but one of my SD DVRs died!!! Really bad day. No lights on the DVR, nothing!!! Anyway I called and got escalated up and up and up. At first all they wanted to do was replace the unit for $15 shipping. No thanks I said. Why would I do that when I have HD now? So I played my last card. I told them I was going back to Comcast since I couldn't get OTA and I wasn't going to pay a fortune to lease an HD DVR!! OUCH!!! FINALLY I get someone's attention.

To make a long story short, they agreed to a free OTA install, and a MUCH reduced price on the HD DVR. Installer is coming out Thursday. Looks like I might still need a better OTA antenna but I'm going to give them their shot at it first.

I'm going to have to have a bigger antenna. Can I get by with just a UHF one as the UHF/VHF are a lot bigger?

I also thought that SHEVRA stated that the end of April 2006 that digital DNS testing would begin. We have a real problem in the Denver dma since most of the signals are on a downtown location 45 miles away with erp in the 13Kwatt range. Basically not watchable even with a big antenna and amplifiers.

In other owrds the SD test does not apply after April correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)