OTA Signal using Attenuator- Anyone else tried this? Successfully?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeffro34tx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Dallas, TX
I recently had an install in a new house, and was not able to get my OTA Antenna moved before the install. I was looking for a quick and easy way to get a OTA signal in the meantime. I attached the attenuator to the OTA input (supplied and used for the increased remote control signal) and I am able to receive all of my OTA signals (upstairs) and all but 2 of them (downstairs). I was surprised at the high level signal I am recieving as well.

I'm located in a large city (Dallas) so this may not work well out in the country where you may be further away, or some place where there may be alot of hills or obstructions.

Just curious if there were others who have done this, rather than using an actual OTA antenna. Have you tried other items as well?

Are you really sure you are using an attenuator? Sound more like you are using the UHF antenna for the receiver as an ota antenna. In Dallas all channels except WFAA CH8 are broadcasting a UHF signal until 2/17/09. You are basically connecting rabbit ears to each receiver.

Attenuate1, make or become thin or slender 2,weaken:reduce 3, make less dense or dilute / number 2 seems to apply to signal strength.

Last edited:
Yes, my mistake........ thanks for the correction.

I am surprised though that it picks up all of the stations, as good or perhaps better in some cases as my large OTA antenna I have in the attic.

BTW, i do get the signal from WFAA Ch 8 using that small antenna as well.

Sorry for the mistake on the Thread Title.

Yes, my mistake........ thanks for the correction.

I am surprised though that it picks up all of the stations, as good or perhaps better in some cases as my large OTA antenna I have in the attic.

BTW, i do get the signal from WFAA Ch 8 using that small antenna as well.

Sorry for the mistake on the Thread Title.
You must be close to the Cedar Hill broadcast towers.:):):)

in general, with antennas, size matters. BUT!

I have seen where a simple stick, the right length, can work wonders. It's all related to the wavelength of the signal and the length of the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)