OTA STB Time Bomb?

Lobstah said:
Bottom line is that if they're using v1.4 of the jabber code, it no longer relies on the time domain reflectometer, so the wave extractor doesn't enter into it.

Lob
I beg your pardon, but the wave extractor controls the whole process, regardless of version...that's what extracts the pretty pictures! :yes Vicki

Vicki said:
I beg your pardon, but the wave extractor controls the whole process, regardless of version...that's what extracts the pretty pictures! :yes Vicki

Bingo! We have a winner! Yabba Dabba Doo!

But if the Voom STB had the wave extractor version 7.0 installed, we would have
had an HD DVR...come on now, you people know these things...!!!

elocs said:
I'm glad to be of service, but no need to stop on my account--there are still 6 or so days still left. I wouldn't turn down a working ota receiver even if I am getting another one. Maybe the receiver will still work if they plasmorize the reflective tribblewonky. Or maybe that is why it may not work. Oh well.

Well now there are only 4 days and a few hours left. I never realized or appreciated the extensive technical expertise that the posters here possess. Keep up the good work because we need something to smile about.

elocs said:
I'm glad to be of service, but no need to stop on my account--there are still 6 or so days still left. I wouldn't turn down a working ota receiver even if I am getting another one. Maybe the receiver will still work if they plasmorize the reflective tribblewonky. Or maybe that is why it may not work. Oh well.

All I know is that we're going to have to learn to live with reflective tribblewonky-lite after the 30th. :mad:

Plasmata said:
All I know is that we're going to have to learn to live with reflective tribblewonky-lite after the 30th. :mad:

I am going strictly ota post-Voom and so 66.6% of my channels will be HD, although that is really only 4 out of 6 stations.

I'm Adelphia-bound. They have 13 channels of HD here (including locals) + an HD DVR. I just hope the PQ is good. I'll post my findings in the cable section once I have it installed on the 30th.

Just to make sure the plasmoritation doesn't affect the OTA reception I'm going to go to the Video store this afternoon and renting enough movies for the kids for the "last night" and disconnecting my sat feed.
D#@n I'll miss the Voom exclusives.
Good luck to all.
Sat Junkie

ATI HD Wonder = crap

Threv said:
Grrrrrrrr :mad: Sounds like we will all be screwed for the OTA if thats the case....
Oh well off to buy the ATI AIW HD. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I have that card... and while any of the videos I've posted here were created using that card, I'd be hard pressed to reccomend it.

#1 - Good luck getting it installed on your computer. Google around, it is a PITA to install and you will need to grab current drivers from the ATI web site. Do you already have an ATI video card? If not the chances get MUCH worse of it actually working.

#2 - OTA reception sucks. I'm 28 miles fromt he towers and a piece of coax hanging off my Voom box gets enough signal to watch OTA. The ATI HDW hooked up to the same antenna that is feeding three Voom boxes (not the Voom supplied 'amplified antenna') still drops out. Unless you are about 5' fromt he towers dont' expect great results with the included antenna. I hooked up the antenna that came with the ATI to the voom box and it works awesome.

#3 - The software pretty much sucks. If I'd have had a chance to play with it up from I never would have bought it.

edit - I just noticed your said AIW, which might be better than the 'HD Wonder' I'm commenting on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)