OTA STB vs 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I was asked to post my experiances/findings on my STB vs the 811 when my STB arrived. It came yesterday and here are my initial findings.

Equipment:

TV- Hitachi 46F500 RPTV (great TV btw)
Dish 500/811 - into DVI port
LG LST-4200A - into YPB port (the 4200 is considered one of the best, if not the best)
OTA - Channel Master Antenna, outside with the Networks being about 40-45 miles away. (The PBS station is local)
Price: The 4200 STB runs from $260-349 depending on where you buy it. Not sure what the 811 runs. I paid $149 + 1 year HD Package. About the same price overall for me.

1: Setup: Both receivers are pretty much identical in setup and ease of use. You can scan or manually add/delete stations, set resolutions, has locking features, etc.

2. Picture Quality: The STB has a bit better picture. I compared them watching the Sox/Yanks game last night. The 811 looked faded compared to the STB. (I made sure the setups were identical) The 811 still has a good picture, just not quite as good as the STB.

3. OTA signal aquisition: The STB did pick up more analog stations but the DTV station list is the same. Note: I get the 49% on the ABC affiliate with the 811 and thought this might be the multipathing bug in the 811. The STB also saw the station but could not pull it in. So, the 811 is not to blame on this one.

4. Features: Apparently, the only local station that is outputting programming info is the PBS station. It shows up in the STB program guide but not in the 811. The STB has one feature the 811 does not. You can set the output to be the native of the station, ie, if they broadcast in 720P, it switches to 720P, or you can set it to stay at 1080i or whatever you want. It's a nice feature.

Conclusion: It comes down to programming. The STB is a better OTA receiver for analog and DTV, but, the 811 is not all bad either. (Assuming they do get the bugs worked out) I am still leaning towards dropping the HD Package once my contract is fulfilled, in about 2 months. The OTA stations will get better, offer more HD stuff and increase their signal in the months ahead. E* seems to be stuck on ESPN, HDNET, TBS and the premiums. Some are truely HD, others are upconverted SD. Not worth the $10 per month, IMHO. (Yeah, I know, Discovery is nice but most of the E* HD stations are getting repetative now in their programming and I really do not watch them much anymore)

Bottom line for me, since I can receive decent OTA broadcast signals and my viewing of the HD Package is decreasing, the STB is the way to go for me. I think the STB is superior to the 811 in pic quality and you don't have to fight the black screens, audio dropouts and such. Obviously, if you can't get OTA then the 811 is a no brainer. Plus, the STB can be moved easily to another location/tv, ie, I can move it to my father-in-laws house for Thanksgiving to watch the HD Football programs since that is where everyone will end up.

I have tried to be objective in this assessement and was not "gunning" for the 811. In fact, knowing what I know now, the 811 seems to hold it's own. The big issue is the bug fixes, will they be fixed and when. The STB is definately a viable option to getting an 811 if you can get OTA reception.

Harry,
Thanks for your review. I have been thinking about getting the LSt4200 too as I am having problems receiving the locals, mainly due to distance from the towers. (53miles)
I'm wondering if the LG was able to hold onto the signals better, once locked. With my 811 and 921 the signals get down into the area where I get pixelation and loss of a locked signal.
When running your comparison(s) did you use a splitter from the antenna or a switch?

Harry, does that 4200a have the 5th generation chip? That's the one that is supposed to be less sensitive to multipath .

Grandude said:
Harry,
Thanks for your review. I have been thinking about getting the LSt4200 too as I am having problems receiving the locals, mainly due to distance from the towers. (53miles)
I'm wondering if the LG was able to hold onto the signals better, once locked. With my 811 and 921 the signals get down into the area where I get pixelation and loss of a locked signal.
When running your comparison(s) did you use a splitter from the antenna or a switch?

The antenna runs through a channel master amp and then a splitter, one leg to the 811, the other to the vcr.

I have not really had any pixelation problems but a couple of the D- channels are low and the 811 initially says signal lost then immediately locks in. The STB does not seem to do that.

Bobby said:
Harry, does that 4200a have the 5th generation chip? That's the one that is supposed to be less sensitive to multipath .

There is some argument about that. I read a review where LG says it is the 5th generation but another person (I assume technically competent) says it is the 4th. I was somewhat surprised on the ABC channel I spoke about. I was sure it was a multipathing problem with the 811 but the 4200 won't lock on it either. So that would support it is a weak signal and not multipathing.

Harry said:
I was somewhat surprised on the ABC channel I spoke about. I was sure it was a multipathing problem with the 811 but the 4200 won't lock on it either. So that would support it is a weak signal and not multipathing.
I noticed on Antennaweb that one of your ABC affiliates is VHF (channel 7). Is that the one you're having trouble with? Is your antenna tuned for VHF/UHF? I have more trouble locking my VHF station than any of the UHF stations.

If his ABC is coming from El Paso, it's on digital channel 17. I also notice it is not transmitting from the same site. It is 20? off from your CBS station. You may need to refine your direction a bit or get a rotor.

Bobby said:
If his ABC is coming from El Paso, it's on digital channel 17. I also notice it is not transmitting from the same site. It is 20? off from your CBS station. You may need to refine your direction a bit or get a rotor.

Yes, that is the one. They are Digital channel 17-1. I just called the station and they are at low power right now and said the coverage is spotty right now where I live. The guy did say that July of '05, TV stations will be required to transmit the Digital signal at full power. I guess some stations are just ahead of others! NBC doesn't even show up at all.

Harry,

Thanks for your review. I found it rather helpful. I have a 4x3 HD set upstairs hooked to a 721 and I thought about getting an OTA HD receiver. This one sounds like it might do the job.

WeeJavaDude said:
Harry,

Thanks for your review. I found it rather helpful. I have a 4x3 HD set upstairs hooked to a 721 and I thought about getting an OTA HD receiver. This one sounds like it might do the job.

I did a lot of looking and the 4200 seemed to be the best for the money. The other one I looked at was the LST-3510, STB + DVD. Seems like a lot of those are on Ebay as refurbs so I stuck with just the STB.

I just bought the USDigital receiver, which is a great simple DTV+HD receiver if you're only willing to shell out $200. Video outputs: Composite, S-Video, Component. No DVI. Audio outputs: Stereo RCA, Digital Toslink. You can find it real easy on Walmart's web site, and I found it real easy in my local store. :)

USDigital STB

Tux,
I went and picked up one of those. It won't find even half the channels that the 811 will and would pixelate even the ones it did find from the same source.
Hope you have better luck with yours. Mine is going back today.
:-(

Sorry to hear that, mevman. I get all digitals in my local DMA with full strength. I'm about 7 or 8 miles from the towers though. I would love to get digitals from outside my DMA though but I think that would need a better antenna and possibly a rotor. I just wanted to keep my setup simple.

Circuit City (I think it was them) had the Samsung SIR-T451 and T351. One of them was $250.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)