OTA through satellite cable using Diplexers

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my grandmother set up with OTA at all of her receivers. She will have four 211K receivers on four different televisions, she's getting them installed on Wednesday. She wants to receive OTA channels and the way things are going to be wired, I can't run separate coaxial cables to each receiver.

I've been doing my research however and using diplexers, I can run satellite and OTA through the same cable. I understand how this works, but I am wondering where exactly do I need to put the first diplexer that combines the satellite and OTA signal. In fact, she has a 211K right now that has the antenna cable running into it. Would I be able to just combine the signal right there or does it need to be closer to the satellite dish?

I would just ask the dish technicians to do this for me, but from my experience, they typically don't know anything besides installing a dish.

With 4 separate receivers, there will be a 3x4 or 4x4 multi-switch installed and separate cables ran from the switch to each receiver location. You will need a splitter or distribution amp to split the main antenna feed to 4 runs and then 4 diplexors to combine the OTA and SAT onto each line from the switch going to the receivers and then a diplexor at each receiver location to break out the OTA and Sat feeds for the receiver connections at each tv.

Reactions: JSheridan
I know this is a bit of a crude drawing, but I want to make sure I have the right idea. Am I on the right track?

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 1.23.48 AM.png

Yes, your crude drawing looks good. Try to keep the diplexers indoors and you need to use Holland DPD2 diplexers on the line the power inserter is connected to. You can use the DPD2 on all 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)