OTA troublshooting on 722k and 211

Stephen Spencer

Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
New Jersey
I seem to randomly lose some (but not all) OTA channels (vhf and uhf) through my 722k (with built-in OTA module) and 211 receivers. Yet if I connect the OTA coax directly to my TV, I can see all OTA channels in crystal clear reception.

My OTA antenna is roof-mounted next to the satellite dish and feeds into the satellite coax through a diplexer. At each receiver inside the house, the signal is split with a diplexer.

As I am able to get very good reception directly to my TV, I do not think the coax is at fault. I have a theory but I am unable to test it. If OTA signal strength drops below a certain threshold, say 65 or even 70, then neither receiver will pick any of it up. Sometimes, this lasts 8 or 9 hours and then, miraculously, signal is back on... And this seems to affect the same channels while other channels remain unaffected. And as I say, those "dropped" channels come through crystal-clear on my TV. When things work, I tune into about 40 channels (and subchannels). When signal is dropped, I am down to about 10...

I have recently acquired a new Sharpe LCD TV and the over the air tuner is much better than my old TV and better than my 622/211 receivers maybe an antenna amp or a bigger antenna would solve your problem.

Dish OTA tuners have always been less efficient than most HDTV tuners, therefore they need some coddling. First thing I would do, is tweek around with the antenna or perhaps, move it outside. Failing that, you should probably run a separate OTA line (because of automatic signal loss when combined) and/or try an OTA amplifier. I have done all three, including amplifying the split to my two receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts