OTA tuner dilemma

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dsharky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Hey gang,

Got a dilemma here. I just moved to a new house that's closer to the towers (SF bay area). I am with Dish and have a 811 receiver.

I bought a Terk TV5 antenna that works pretty good. I get most major networks at 65%-75% signal lock. However, 1/2 the networks require the antenna to be positioned in one way (ABC,CBS, NBC). the other 1/2 network (WB, FOX, UPN) requires me adjust the antenna to be positioned another way. I'm getting quite sick of it.

I'm debating whether to blow $200 on a samsugn T451 or Humax HFA and just use my 811 for dishnetwork channels. *OR* should I try to mount an external antenna. I really want to avoid drilling holes, wiring stuff up to the roof. What would you guys suggest? I hear the 811 is just not a very good OTA tuner. But since i'm close to the towers, I can save about $150 by running wires to the roof with an external antenna and using my 811 for everything.

Suggestions???

If the Terk TV5 works for all your stations (I'm not much of a Terk fan), then why not purchase a second antenna, point that one at the other stations and run them both thru an RF A/B switch? They even make an A/B switch that is controlled via remote

dougruss said:
Wouldn't you be doing the same thing with the Indoor Antenna even with those other Receivers?

I just hear that 811 is a crappy receiver. and think maybe another OTa receiver will allow me to lock in signal better with my indoor antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)