OTA Tuner Performance Falling Off?

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I haven't had too many problems with the Hopper OTA tuner performance, but lately it seems to be lacking behind my other OTA tuners.

I have two antennas mounted in the attic, a VHF High looking west and a Yagi UHF looking north. The Hopper tuner gets 100% signal on most the UHF, but lately (last week-month(s)) the VHF channels do not lock along with a couple UHFs. The tuners on the TVs seem to perform fine as they always have. I also seem to notice there's more of a delay with the Hopper locking the OTAs too.

Anyone else see degraded Hopper OTA tuner performance?

Not here. All my locals come in at 100% and I'm only using a terk clip on antenna for my sat dish. The only performance issues I have is with the software that screwed up my namebased recording feature for all sub channels : Like Metv, Cozi, and the Cw channel in hd.

Can the performance of the hardware really change ? To me, it will either work or won't work. Now, the software aspect of it could.... I have to wonder if Dish even touches that code though.

Can the performance of the hardware really change ? To me, it will either work or won't work. Now, the software aspect of it could.... I have to wonder if Dish even touches that code though.

Electronic components can go out of spec and adversely effect performance. Excessive heat is a primary cause of component failure.

I'm not suspecting a hardware problem, I am suspecting some alteration of the software processing.

Nothing has changed with my antenna/distribution system. All channels continue to be received and tuned on all other tuners, except for my two Hopper OTA tuners. The two that are now problematic for the Hopper are VHF High transmitting on RF Ch 8 and 10, coming from about 70 miles away. It seems the more challenging signals are an issue now.

I'm not suspecting a hardware problem, I am suspecting some alteration of the software processing.

Nothing has changed with my antenna/distribution system. All channels continue to be received and tuned on all other tuners, except for my two Hopper OTA tuners. The two that are now problematic for the Hopper are VHF High transmitting on RF Ch 8 and 10, coming from about 70 miles away. It seems the more challenging signals are an issue now.

degraded since.. ? the winter? ie. could it be as simple as leaves on the trees?

Same here. For the last month (Give or take) my HWS has been having problems picking up ota VHF high on rf channel 9 and on rf channel 13. They come in fine when I hook the antenna directly to the tv. No trees or anything changing or in the way. All of the UHF come in fine at 100% thru the hopper.

Maybe the signal is being attenuated some, but my other tuners don't seem to be effected.

My terk clip on antenna gets both UHF and VHF channels, which is good because like 4 of them are VHF and the other 9 are all UHF. But I wouldn't doubt that the software has fracked your reception of your tuner. I've seen software bugs that made this ota tuner nearly unusable when I first got mine bout two years ago. I am using the original hopper not the hopper with built in sling.

I'm in a house trailer with my sat dish and clip on antenna on a pole out back in the clear field, with NO Trees in view. My signal strength on ota stays the same unless there is a problem at the station itself.

I'm in a house trailer with my sat dish and clip on antenna on a pole out back in the clear field, with NO Trees in view. My signal strength on ota stays the same unless there is a problem at the station itself.
Interesting. After reading this thread I rechecked mine and most are down, some more than others. The 3 channels that were a solid 100% now fluctuate from 75/80 to 100. The 3 that were 72 to 75% are now in the mid to upper 60's. A Picture is solid on 5 of my saved 6 channels with a little occasional breakup on 1 channel. When the weather cools enough to make it bearable I intend to remove excess attic clutter and reposition/fine-tune for best compromise. I'm using a MOHU SKY antenna with about a 50 feet coaxial run. Amazingly good little antenna - pointing does matter but not to the degree I would have expected.

I haven't noticed but now I'll check closely.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts