OTA Tuner question

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding the manual and how it applies to my configuration. I searched but didn't see anything that applies to me.

My setup:

ViP622

I receive my locals over the satellite in HD except for 1 which only comes in analog.

I live less than 1 mile from my local antenna farm and my TV has a built in HD tuner, which I used back when I had cable to have a "third" tuner (could record on tuners 1 and 2 of the cable DVR while switching inputs on the TV to the antenna). I can receive all of the local OTA digital channels with bunny ears.

From my reading I understand that the ViP622 can be used as an OTA tuner. Can I use that OTA tuner as "third" tuner (watching a channel live while recording on both tuners)? If that is possible, and this is just getting greedy, but can I pause/rw/ff on that tuner? Does the information from the OTA tuner show up in the EPG?

Or will that just be redundant since I already receive my locals over the satellite?

From my reading I understand that the ViP622 can be used as an OTA tuner. Can I use that OTA tuner as "third" tuner (watching a channel live while recording on both tuners)? If that is possible, and this is just getting greedy, but can I pause/rw/ff on that tuner? Does the information from the OTA tuner show up in the EPG?
Simple answer, yes. Plug in antenna to 622 scan for local channels and they will be in the guide and you can use them just like the satellite channels.

Thanks, usually I would just go ahead and try stuff like that, but I was concerned I would lose the locals I got over the Satellite or something else would happen.

So I hooked my bunny ears up to the 622, and I get 28 channels OTA, which is a few more than I got with my TV tuner.

My next question, if you don't mind answering what my be another stupid one, is can I get the guide to display what the channel is programming or does it always say "Digital Service"? Yes, I realize I can just look at the channel thats coming over the satellite, but just for the sake of argument I would like to know if it is possible.

Thanks, usually I would just go ahead and try stuff like that, but I was concerned I would lose the locals I got over the Satellite or something else would happen.

So I hooked my bunny ears up to the 622, and I get 28 channels OTA, which is a few more than I got with my TV tuner.

My next question, if you don't mind answering what my be another stupid one, is can I get the guide to display what the channel is programming or does it always say "Digital Service"? Yes, I realize I can just look at the channel thats coming over the satellite, but just for the sake of argument I would like to know if it is possible.
Since you just added your OTA's, you need to reboot the 622. They should show up after that.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

While I was waiting I went ahead and did a Check Switch, I remembered that would make the guide re-load.

Is restarting the preferred method? Should I avoid doing the Check Switch?

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

While I was waiting I went ahead and did a Check Switch, I remembered that would make the guide re-load.

Is restarting the preferred method? Should I avoid doing the Check Switch?
I'm just telling you what the installer told me and what worked.

Ok, thanks.

What I was saying is the Check Switch did work, but I was making sure that I wasn't inadvertently messing something else up by doing that. Thanks.

Most of the time the OTA guide will just say digital service unless you subscribe to the Dish locals. Once you do, then the programs will be listed just like the sat channels, that is if the station posts that info. And yes it is a third tuner that you can pause/ff/rr etc. and watch while the other two tuners are recording. I split my antenna lead so I can record one OTA on the 622 then change to the tv tuner to watch another.

I just added an OTA antenna to my 411 tuner. The antenna works great except that now I have no audio. I have been having issues in the past few weeks with the audio(pre OTA) but now it is completely gone. From what I've read, there are some audio issues with the 411. I've called Dish three times and they tell me something different every time. Now, they are sending me a new unit. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get audio? I 've reset, unplugged, rebooted, etc about fifty times with no luck. The 411 is connected with an HDMI cable.

In addition to adding an OTA antenna, I added a DVD player. However, the DVD player isn't connected at all though the tuner. When I use the DVD player, I have sound so I don't think it is the TV.

Any help would be appreciated...I'm lost!

I just added an OTA antenna to my 411 tuner. The antenna works great except that now I have no audio. I have been having issues in the past few weeks with the audio(pre OTA) but now it is completely gone. From what I've read, there are some audio issues with the 411. I've called Dish three times and they tell me something different every time. Now, they are sending me a new unit. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get audio? I 've reset, unplugged, rebooted, etc about fifty times with no luck. The 411 is connected with an HDMI cable.

In addition to adding an OTA antenna, I added a DVD player. However, the DVD player isn't connected at all though the tuner. When I use the DVD player, I have sound so I don't think it is the TV.

Any help would be appreciated...I'm lost!
Do you have a component video and digital audio cable? If so, try them. You may have an HDMI cable/port problem. If not, try the old RCA cables for testing.

For those of you that use OTA -

Have you split your antenna to go to both the 622 and another tuner (or the tuner on your tv).

I get every single available OTA channel with my current antenna (un-amplified) going straight into the 622. When I split the signal using a -3.5 DB splitter I lose 3 channels on the 622. Is the 3.5 DB difference that big of a deal? What does everyone recommend for a splitter?

For those of you that use OTA -

Have you split your antenna to go to both the 622 and another tuner (or the tuner on your tv).

I get every single available OTA channel with my current antenna (un-amplified) going straight into the 622. When I split the signal using a -3.5 DB splitter I lose 3 channels on the 622. Is the 3.5 DB difference that big of a deal? What does everyone recommend for a splitter?

You might want to try a four way amplified splitter.

I actually ran down to my wire stash and found some much higher quality co-ax. No I am only having some very minor issues with FOX and ABC. I will keep fiddling, maybe just an amplifier?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts