OTA Tuners with guide question

Have you tried changing the zip code (in your setup)? From your location to a surrounding one that has the signal from the stations direct and not using a translator.
I believe if he did that it would indeed give him the station's schedule but it would put the guide information on the wrong frequency. If he were to click on the guide to record it would go to a black screen as there is no signal on that frequency.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have hdhomerun tuners and channels DVR and 14 day guide and correct for Wlmington NC DMA and Greenville NC DMA
Doesn't channels DVR require a computer to schedule and the recordings are on the computer itself? If so how do they connect to each other and to the TV? I have wifi service, but not ethernet service to my TV.

Doesn't channels DVR require a computer to schedule and the recordings are on the computer itself? If so how do they connect to each other and to the TV? I have wifi service, but not ethernet service to my TV.
My channels Dvr is on a Synology 920+ NAS and is on my wired network. I have wifi but wired is way more reliable for streaming.

Run a PLEX server with a OTA turner (dual or quad recommended) then play them from that on your TV's with any streaming device that supports the PLEX app.

Have you tried changing the zip code (in your setup)? From your location to a surrounding one that has the signal from the stations direct and not using a translator.
Don't you have to be able to pick up that signal from the location? For instance, if I chose Seattle that has a Weigel station, not translators, I am unable to get Seattle OTA here. It isn't going to do me much good to use another zip code in my county, as we all get the same translators. If I was to use Seattle, I could not scan in Seattle stations, so how would that work? I live on the Northern Oregon Coast. Seattle is 125 miles to the NE.

Reactions: TheKrell
Mwdxer1, you are correct. That is the point I was making in post # 21. The only way a distant zip code could help you would be if it had the same network on the same RF frequency and virtual channel. it may even need to be in your time zone. This is not very likely, especially with the minor networks.

I believe if he did that it would indeed give him the station's schedule but it would put the guide information on the wrong frequency. If he were to click on the guide to record it would go to a black screen as there is no signal on that frequency.
Even if I could use "any zip code", from anywhere in the US, I would have to find a city or town that has the same network channel line up. That may be possible, but I doubt it. For instance Seattle has the same line up for Weigel on Ch 44, but not in the same order, but the other stations in the Seattle market do not match. Too bad I could not use a different zip code for the one channel w/o a good guide.

Mwdxer1, you are correct. That is the point I was making in post # 21. The only way a distant zip code could help you would be if it had the same network on the same RF frequency and virtual channel. it may even need to be in your time zone. This is not very likely, especially with the minor networks.
Unless I can purchase another OTA box with a good guide, which I am tired of looking for and spending money on, probably best best is to work with Amazon and the Recast. Except for the Ematic tuner that only goes out 10-12 hours, the second best in the Recast. Only METV and METV+ are missing. At this point, which I am really ticked off, Tablo refuses to go any farther, even after I purchased their guide for a year. The unit is useful to a certain degree, as I have their OTA tuner with a HDD to use. Not all is lost.