OTA Tuners

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
I have three HD tvs in my home a VIP 722 and a TIVO series 3. The quality of OTA tuners varies significantly with the TIVO being the best followed by the 722 and then the TV's. Makes me think that, in a TV, the OTA tuner is an after thought.
My reasoning is based on the ability of each tuner to lock on the same channel. All stations are equi distant from me and are spread between 133, 132 and 134 degrees The TIVO locks on all with no problem. The tv tuners and the 722 all miss at least one or 2 of the channels when scanning. One tv will lock when using the rf channel number one will only allow scanning for digital ota and the tuner on one tv quite a week after i put up the antenna. That is the oldest tv.
Antenna has only been up a couple of months.
Just wonder if this is common or is it me

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

The older HDTV's did have a questionable tuner especially when dealing with weaker signal.
This summer when I was Dx'ing stations I used my 2 year old AOC TV to tune them in. My 5+ year old Panny plasma had issues with the real weak DXing signal.
The DTVPal I have right now takes a while to lock some stations (the low powered religious as example)

so yes it is common

I find the exact opposite. The OTA tuners in my TV's, will lock & hold a signal down to a much lower strength than my 722 or 722K will. Often when the 722 says "OTA signal loss" the TV's tuner will still pick it up no problem.

Be happy with the TIVO S3. Biggest issue have with my Premiere is its weak tuner. Seems to be a common complaint over at TIVO Community as well.

I find the exact opposite. The OTA tuners in my TV's, will lock & hold a signal down to a much lower strength than my 722 or 722K will. Often when the 722 says "OTA signal loss" the TV's tuner will still pick it up no problem.

Same here,our LG LD350 holds the signal better than the dish receivers.

Thanks. I guess most manufacturers figure the ota tuner isnt going to be used so they dont use quality components

Ross

Thanks. I guess most manufacturers figure the ota tuner isnt going to be used so they dont use quality components

Ross

I think a lot more is age of TV/tuner than the manufacturers use of inferior components. ATSC tuners are still in their infancy newer products will do a better job than older units. A 622 was designed when? A 722K is now how many years old it has been out of production for how long?

What do you have for an antenna system, how many times is the signal split, do you have preamplifiers, or distribution amplifiers? There are many factors that influence reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)