OTA tuners

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Darin1234

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Iowa
I know that the OTA tuner for Diretv receivers is a separate box (am21) and in the past it was about $50-60 online. Looking today the prices were around $150-200 and it was unavailable on Amazon. Is the am21 discontinued now? I know it was somewhat flawed sytem (relied on a partial database from directv instead of scanning) so could they be making a newer model or system, or did they just give up?

The AM21 is discontinued and is becoming hard to find. Even used ones have commanded upwards of $100 at times.

The database is still limited as it has been for years. I have not heard anything about improvements or updates coming to DirecTV for OTA viewing.

I imagine they eventually will shut down the database. Luckily when and if that happens I still have my TiVo Roamio (and plan to upgrade to a TiVo Bolt).

Man, directv really dropped the ball on the OTA side of things. Why couldn't they just let the box scan for channels? (They probably would have sold more) I know there are separate OTA DVRs but it'd be easier if it was all on the same box and input, dish integrates it very well.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys Darin1234!! :)
Thanks. Been here for a while lurking as they say.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I imagine they eventually will shut down the database. Luckily when and if that happens I still have my TiVo Roamio (and plan to upgrade to a TiVo Bolt).
The am21 integrates well it just needs to scan to be a better product. But I can't complain about functionality. I know that all of Claude's are new old stock, so I would go with that over ebay.
Man, directv really dropped the ball on the OTA side of things. Why couldn't they just let the box scan for channels? (They probably would have sold more) I know there are separate OTA DVRs but it'd be easier if it was all on the same box and input, dish integrates it very well.

Thanks. Been here for a while lurking as they say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
The AM21 can scan, and when the Genie's first came out they did. But then the brains at DIRECTV, decided that it shouldn't anymore, our loss.

I recently picked up a used Tivo Series 3 with a lifetime sub from an Amazon seller for $120. It gets ALL my local channels and subs and I don't have to pay each month for service. With the HR20s & AM21s I have, I am missing 6 sub channels.

(Thanks to "Iceberg" for the suggestion to get one) :)

Reactions: edisonprime
That is why I just a Roamio OTA along with my HR44. 4 tuners and great PQ.
I love my Roamio, but the only inconvenience is that I have to change inputs all the time and can't have everything in one guide. But yes, the Roamio, the Roamio OTA and the Bolt are MUCH BETTER than the AM21. (I really definitely want a Bolt someday.)

Yeah, what we do is watch recordings in order from A-Z on the HR44, and then once we finish up a round, we move to the TiVo and do the same thing, and rinse and repeat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)