OTA tuning question

Snipr4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
ok I have my Winegard SS-2000 which is a amplified multi-directional antenna. I am attempting to adjust it so that I get the strongest signal however its not all that easy. Its almost like attempting to adjust a 3 LNB to hit a particular sat in the sky without any degree marks. I went to antennaweb.org & know the locations of the various transmission towers. But I'm hoping there is a better way. Does any company make a signal strength tester for OTA antennas, something that I can test individual channel strength ?

I have a Hughes HTL-HD & I do know about the pause button while in Sat mode. I'm hoping for something portable ?

thanks

Anyone . . .
28 views & not a single reply common guys one of you has to know the answer.

You have an omni-directional antenna so you will have limited success pointing it a source. However, if you get the radiation diagram from the Winegard sight or Winegard tech support, you can see where the gain is highest and "point" that at your weakest source. If you can't decipher which end is which of the antenna versus the radiation diagram, ask Winegard tech support.

As to some meter to measure signal strength of OTA DTV channels, I looked for the same thing six months ago w/o any success. I think there is a professional meter that will do it, but price-wise it is out of the question. Just use the DTV STB's meter.

Are you pointing to the right direction as mentioned on antennaweb? If yes, what channels are you getting and at what signal strength? What do you not get and are hoping to get? Are they in the same direction?

mallu2u, it basically depends on which elevation, tilt & Azimuth that I point it to. I can't use a rotor either since I share this local HD antenna between two systems.

Just tune to a local OTA digital channel. Then bring up the signal strength meter in the STB. If your STB doesn't have an audible SS meter, this operation will take two people, or a portable tv near the antenna and connected to the STB via a long coax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)