OTA tunner on Dish vip211K

funtime

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Can the ota tuner on the 211k go bad? I was able to received around 20 ota channels before. Recently the channels would cut in and out. Now I can receive only 2. Nothing wrong with the antenna as I have another tv with antenna connection to it and receive all of the 20 channels on it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Yes, they can go bad, but I have never personally experienced one fail. No, wait, I had two cheap ATSC PC tuners go bad. I think it's more likely that you have a cabling issue.

I checked that. Ran another cable from the splitter to the Satellite receiver and still no luck. Even switched out the splitter.

Have reset the receiver and scanned for local channels a bunch of times. Still only finds 2 channels, instead of the the 20 or so it had before. It is not a cable issue as I have switched that out every which way you can. (Even with different cables.)

OK, that being the case, it sure sounds like the OTA tuner went bad. Now don't get insulted by this last question. Anybody can do it, particularly when fumbling with the inputs and outputs on the back of a receiver when they can't see what they are doing. Are you certain you didn't plug your antenna into the modulated output?

Just learned this a few days ago about my VIP211K. Go to "Menu", "System Setup", "HDTV Setup", and check to see that you are set for "Offair" under "Analog Type". If you are set for "Cable", you will only get channels 2-13. I don't know how this setting could have changed, but worth checking.

Just learned this a few days ago about my VIP211K. Go to "Menu", "System Setup", "HDTV Setup", and check to see that you are set for "Offair" under "Analog Type". If you are set for "Cable", you will only get channels 2-13. I don't know how this setting could have changed, but worth checking.
Thank you, I have checked that,

Are both receivers connected to the same antenna? Just because the other TV can receive the channels doesn't mean that the signal isn't just barely above usable on that receiver. The downside to digital is it's there or its not. We don't get the luxury of the analog fade out like we used to.

Are you connected to an outdoor antenna?

Check the connectors (indoors and out) for corrosion or loose connections. Also, make sure your antenna aiming hasn't shifted as a result of any recent storms/wind.

-SF

Does the TV have an ATSC OTA tuner built in? How many channels does it (or any other device) receive? That could narrow it down to a bad tuner or an antenna/cabling problem.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Does the TV have an ATSC OTA tuner built in? How many channels does it (or any other device) receive? That could narrow it down to a bad tuner or an antenna/cabling problem.

This is an excellent point and suggestion. Take the OTA antenna coax off of the 211 and attach it to the TV and do a scan. If the TV gets all the channels, the 211 has a bad tuner (or it is not set to Off-Air). If the TV doesn't all the channels, something else is going on....

Yes, the tv does have a tuner. If I disconnect the antenna cable from the 211k receiver and connect it directly to the tv and scan, I get all of the 20 something channels. I could leave it that way and switch back and forth, but without the antenna going through the receiver I can't record anything off of the ota channels.

All,
I was fighting this issue with OTA getting all 27 OTA channels on main receiver and only 2 channels on the 211k. After reading on here I made sure the set the 211k in to setup, HDTV, over air, TV Type 480. I then scanned and presto all 27 local channels. Thanks for the suggestions above, I have been troubleshooting this for several days.

The TV with 211k also was a smaller 32 inch TV and the scores of ballgames would not show on the screen. I tried resizing from TV remote and it never improved. Changing to Type 480 all cured this issue.

This is an excellent point and suggestion. Take the OTA antenna coax off of the 211 and attach it to the TV and do a scan. If the TV gets all the channels, the 211 has a bad tuner (or it is not set to Off-Air). If the TV doesn't all the channels, something else is going on....
Navychop/Bobby nice job other trouble shooting skills and helping out e new member.
Kudos

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)