OTA TV input vs 811 input

bigdaddyflo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
I reallly like this group!!

Question--I have a HDTV that has integrated OTA antenna. Will I get any better/worse picture if I go through the 811 input? If I do that, I lose some neat functions of the TV like favorites and PIP.

Thanks

Bigdaddyflo in :cool: the house!!

Split the antenna to both. My picture is the same on the TV and the 811. The advantage of using the 811 is the channels appear in the guide.

G.

gdarwin-Louisville said:
Split the antenna to both. My picture is the same on the TV and the 811. The advantage of using the 811 is the channels appear in the guide.
G.

TO: bigdaddyflo

Another factor may be how near you are to OTA transmitters. I am 65 miles NW of Nashville and can get only 1 channel thru 811 but get 5 channels thru different OTA tuner.

Last edited:
I live 70 miles from the PBS-HD affiliate and use an array of 8 antennas in front of a meshwire screen with passive and active amplifiers to get 90% signal.

The 811 performs far better than the VOOM but takes a big beating from the the LG-3100A that i have, by far one of the most accomplished OTA STBs (set-top box).

I'd say use whatever works, but i agree that the 811 will do you a good job.

The picture on OTA looks the same to me on my set but since you have PIP having both connected lets you use the PIP feature on two different digital ota or one ota one sat.

It is your responsibility as a HDTV geek to have both ATSC tuners provided a proper OTA signal. Anything less and your geek status will be questioned.

Kandiru said:
I live 70 miles from the PBS-HD affiliate and use an array of 8 antennas in front of a meshwire screen with passive and active amplifiers to get 90% signal.
The 811 performs far better than the VOOM but takes a big beating from the the LG-3100A that i have, by far one of the most accomplished OTA STBs (set-top box).
I'd say use whatever works, but i agree that the 811 will do you a good job.
I don't know about the LG...but I found the VOOM receiver to be a better OTA tuner than the 811. With VOOM I was able to get a couple of lower sig stations that the 811 has not been able to pick up. Sometimes the 811 will also freeze up switching back and forth from Dish ch's to OTA ch's. I'm still happy with it...but in my opinion it's not as good as the VOOM receiver.

Thanks for the input. When I ran the antenna through the 811, stations would not pick up. When I ran it through the TV tuner (Toshiba DLP 52") all of the stations in my area came in.

Later

Bigdaddyflo

I have my rooftop antenna running to both the 811 and my LG 3510A (upconverting DVD player with OTA tuner built in). The picture is almost identicle, but I'd have to say that I prefer the picture from the 811. It's not really an apples-to-apples comparision however, since the 811 is running to components and the 3510A is running through DVI (Sony CRT rear-projection 51-incher). I suspect the situation may be reversed if I switched inputs.

When it comes to OTA reception however, the LG easily beats out the 811. Both tuners pull in all of my OTA locals, but the LG gets stronger signals across the board. There are a couple channels that sometimes break up on the 811 but are steady on the LG. The LG also tunes into channels quicker.

On a side note, I could not give a higher recommendation for a DVD player. I have the LG set to upconvert to 1080i and a lot of DVDs seem approach HD picture quality.

Edgar in Indy

Kandiru said:
I agree with the 811 having good tuners. It beats the $35 Voombox i got on ebay IMHO.
WOW....I switched over from the VOOM receiver to the 811 and I lost three low sig stations with the same setup. The 811 ( for me ) just does not pick up those low sig stations as well as the VOOM receiver did. I even picked up a Philly station at night from ny with the VOOM receiver....never even a glitch shows up with the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)