OTA, TV2 feed, sat with separator on same cable?

tsutton002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I've searched high and low and can't find a post that fits my issue. I have a Dish 1000, three DP dual LNBs, DPP44 (no power inserter) switch, vip622, vip211, and a 311. All tuners have a single cable to them. Currently the sat signal is sent over a single cable with a separator supplying both sat inputs on the 622. The 622 TV2 out is diplexed to a second TV on channel 90. Both the 622 and 211 have their own antennas. The antenna at the 622 picks up weak signals while the antenna at the 211 picks up everything. I've switched the antennas between the two receivers and still the 622 has weak OTA signals. Attached is a diagram of how the system is set up and how I've tried to set it up. I basically want to send the OTA signal from the 211 to the 622 and eliminate one antenna. Is this possible given that I have one line to each room and can't add a second coax to any of the tuner locations? A rough sketch of the "current" vs. "want to" is attached. The new set up works fine for satellite and OTA on the 211 - I can only get sat channels on the 622 with no OTA signals at all.

Thanks for the help!

If this is in the wrong forum let me know and I'll move it...

Attachments

• Untitled.pdf
    284.7 KB · Views: 255
First off...with regards to your art skills...GADZOOKS SON!!!!!! :D

*ahem*...with that out of the way...*still laughing and and nasaling the Bud Light*...I see what you're TRYING to do (I think!), but you will need at least one more diplexer and 2-way splitter to your "possible?" drawing. It doesn't show how your going to connect the incoming VHF/UHF antenna to your 622 "leg" off the DPP44.

You cant send the OTA through the DPP 44 like that.. You could get it to the switch the way you have described, but it would be best to diplex it back out of the line @ the switch from the 211 room and run another RG6 to the 622 for OTA.

This might work.. Look at the first image however i'm not certain if you can use a splitter like this, if so you'll get some signal loss. But it might work...?

Picture 2 is the way I would do it if you can get another cable to the 622.

Attachments

• possible set up.JPG
    possible set up.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 216
  • possible set up 2 cables.JPG
    possible set up 2 cables.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
<hanging head> I know my art skills were less than desirable but I had two two year olds hanging on my arm when I was trying to depict the setup. That aside - from what I'm gathering I need to bypass the DPP44 with all UHF/VHF "traffic" -a second cable to the 622 isn't in the cards.

"Simply" put - I'm diplexing the sat/ant signals at the 211, "de"-diplexing them before the switch, then combining the TV2/ant signals with a splitter, diplexing the combined TV2/ant signal back onto the cable with sat signal on the "other" side of the switch that leads to the 622, then "de"-diplexing the TV2/ant signals in the 622 room, sending the combined TV2/ant signal to a another splitter that leads to the 622 TV2 out and ant in, and also sending the other side of the last diplexer to the separator that feeds the satin1 and satin2 of the 622? Wow, that was a mouthful!

I know this is an ugly setup but I'm trying to avoid ripping apart newly finished areas. Can I add an amplifier somewhere to compensate for all the signal loss due to the splitters? Side note - is it alright to run the DPP44 without the power inserter? Every setup I've seen has it depicted but I'm assuming the installer didn't think it was necessary since I only have 3 DP dual LNBs with 2 single and 1 dual tuner?

Thanks to all of you for assisting...

Todd

P.S. Sorry if some of the terminology is wrong but that's how my brain is deciphering what I'm hearing.

Power inserter is supposed to be there... on port one. If its working without it then its working but if a problem should arise that may be a good place to start troubleshooting. In your case the receivers are acting as the power supply.
I dont know much about amplifers or their placements in this case. I do know that a pre-amp works miracles with my OTA system which involves a lot of splitting and diplexing like yours. if you notice a problem, you may invest in one of those to prevent as much loss as possible from the antenna to the first split. That might give you a jump on the loss in all the little splitters,diplexors, and cable runs.

tsutton,
i tried a similar setup, not using a dp44 switch. tried combining the backfeed signal, satellite, and OTA signal all on a single cable. basically, i had too much signal loss with diplexers and splitters, and could not get my OTA to work without adding an inline amplifier.

i ended up dropping another line, since i didn't like having an amplifier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)