OTA Update?

With PTAT though, The OTA would only be needed for the sub channels really. Granted, you could only watch or record one, but at least you could get to them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

PTAT only works for LIL that is carried on the same SAT/Transponder, right? The OTA unit would help fill in those that PTAT can't get 'cuz they're not.

Well I guess one is better than none. But I don't see why they didn't include the ota module like the 722k /922 already has . THere is already a place for it in the back of the box. Why re-invent the wheel each time? We already know that the dual ota tuner module works. Just seems like DISH changes everything every couple of years ,just for the sake of change. I thought the add on modules was a step in the right direction. Even add on sat tuners would of been cool to me. But now they have "hopped" off in a new direction entirely, pun intended.

There are a few reasons

#1 the overwhelming majority of DISH customers NEVER use OTA
#2 by making the OTA External they could make the size of the Hopper smaller, in addition by all the Hoppers having the same equipment inside they could make sure the Airflow and cooling was the same for every Hopper. With the OTA cartridge on the 722k and 922 with the OTA tuner installed it caused overheating issues on some units.
#3 By not having a big hole in the receiver for where someone might put a tuner cartridge by not putting that hole and leaving all the space in there brings down the manufacturing costs.

And that is why tey goet rid of the tuner cartridge for the Hopper. No reason to spend money on something that most folks will never use. (I know we are not like most folks) :D

PTAT only works for LIL that is carried on the same SAT/Transponder, right? The OTA unit would help fill in those that PTAT can't get 'cuz they're not.

In my case my use of OTA is completely unrelated to PTAT. I have an outdoor antenna that receives stations from both Washington DC and Baltimore. On weekends, it gives me greater choice of college and pro sports, especially during football season.

This is the best news yet to me. Dish really does read these posts and take into account our requests.

"brand new next generation ota tuner that is the most sensitive tuner available"

I asked (and made fun of) the size of it. What you have seen is not a prototype it's an actual unit off the production line. I am told it is that big because it has a brand new next generation ota tuner that is the most sensitive tuner available. It's because of this tuner it throws off a lot of heat and that is why it is the size it is.

They could have made it smaller but it would have not been as sensitive. They figured since you plug it in and leave it in the size did not matter much. It is not a portable ota tuner and thus is not designed as such.

For me, one OTA tuner is fine. I'm lucky enough to live in a market well-covered by Dish. There is only one OTA sub-channel I'd like to get again. (I had it with 722k.) It shows the English-language NHK World about 80-85% of the time, and Japanese language for the remainder. Unfortunately, it's not only not in HD, it's pretty poor for SD, as well. It's a shame, as all NHK programming is produced in HD, as is almost all Japanese in general. (That same disappointment extends to TV Japan, which is offered in HD on some cable systems.)

I just wish they would include its program data in the EPG. (They didn't, as of mid-March.) Tribune's Zap2It has it. I don't see why Dish doesn't, if they get their data from Tribune. I see they've added new sub-channels to the EPG, accoridng to the OTA Guide thread. So, maybe they've already done it with KCNS 38.4. I'll find out when they release the OTA module.

When was the release date again, Scott?

I actually shuffled my timers around to use OTA more. With my recent purchase of the Sling Adapter, I wanted to try to keep tuner 2 as free as possible. This way I could still sling, without bumping into recordings. I did discover though that my recordings started taking up a lot more space with OTA, but I do have an EHD, so that was not too much of a big deal.

With my recent acquisition of a 722k, I plan on using OTA as much as I can freeing up those satellite tuners even more.

PTAT would be great for me as a rarely rarely rarely go to the sub channels and only use up one tuner. The k however was free and did not mean more monthly charges, so I gladly took free ;)

Nothing at this point is giving me incentive to hop (pun intended) to another receiver.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I can't move to Hopper/Joey until the OTA unit is ready and it has nothing to do with sub-channels or sports. Living in Oklahoma, having access to TV in bad weather can literally be the difference between life and death. When the storms come rolling in and the satellite goes dead because of the weather, I have to have OTA to be able to know where the tornadoes are. It's scary enough around here when you do know where they are - I can't imagine not knowing.

That said, I'm excited about the Hopper/Joey and will make the switch just as soon as the OTA module comes out.

lgball said:
I can't move to Hopper/Joey until the OTA unit is ready and it has nothing to do with sub-channels or sports. Living in Oklahoma, having access to TV in bad weather can literally be the difference between life and death. When the storms come rolling in and the satellite goes dead because of the weather, I have to have OTA to be able to know where the tornadoes are. It's scary enough around here when you do know where they are - I can't imagine not knowing.

That said, I'm excited about the Hopper/Joey and will make the switch just as soon as the OTA module comes out.

Doesn't your tv have an OTA tuner you can use for live weather updates? I only use to use OTA through Dish when I wanted to record the OTA stream, live viewing was done through my tv (signal was split between the tv and dish receiver).

Doesn't your tv have an OTA tuner you can use for live weather updates?

Given this is in the Hopper part of the forum, I am compelled to point out that all the cables from node to both Hoppers and Joeys are consumed by moca. So, unless you have more than one coax per TV, you're not going to see weather updates using it's tuner, either.

Maybe rabbit ears...

Given this is in the Hopper part of the forum, I am compelled to point out that all the cables from node to both Hoppers and Joeys are consumed by moca. So, unless you have more than one coax per TV, you're not going to see weather updates using it's tuner, either.

Maybe rabbit ears...

I previously had two 722Ks. Each had two coax cables coming into the house. Since each hopper only uses one coax, wouldn't I be able to use the second coax for OTA?

Living in Iowa I know the importance of having OTA for weather. I love following weather and I know that Oklahoma has the worst. If OTA just for weather is what is so important than I see no reason why you can't just connect it directly to your TV if it's digital. I also wonder if you have internet? I check the weather a lot more on my computer than I do on TV.

I just think that not having OTA yet on the Hopper is a big enough reason not to get it especially if you really want it. If your reasoning is weather related, there are so many options for getting up to date weather. I have weather apps on my phone, follow my local channels on twitter, check multiple weather websites, weather radio, and can still watch weather on my Dish locals until the storm is so bad I shouldn't be watching TV anymore.

Living in Iowa I know the importance of having OTA for weather. I love following weather and I know that Oklahoma has the worst. If OTA just for weather is what is so important than I see no reason why you can't just connect it directly to your TV if it's digital. I also wonder if you have internet? I check the weather a lot more on my computer than I do on TV.

I just think that not having OTA yet on the Hopper is a big enough reason not to get it especially if you really want it. If your reasoning is weather related, there are so many options for getting up to date weather. I have weather apps on my phone, follow my local channels on twitter, check multiple weather websites, weather radio, and can still watch weather on my Dish locals until the storm is so bad I shouldn't be watching TV anymore.

I do see setup scenarios where you really want the OTA for weather - some TVs cannot be connected to OTA due to single coax run for MOCA, for example. Also, nice to be able to use the Hopper and Joeys to show the same radar feed in multiple rooms. And I may want to rewind a local broadcast if I missed something they said. (Tornado touched down where again??).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)