OTA with combiner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, I first have to apologize, I know I have asked this, but can't remember. I want to add an OTA to my multidish fta setup. I have a set of combiners. My multi dish is set up with a diseqc switch and a 22k switch. can I use the combiner with this? Thanks guys :)

yes you can use a Diplexer

It needs to go between the receiver and the 1st switch (the diseqc) for diplexing an antenna into it

receiver---diplexer---------------------------------------diplexer-----disqec--------

you need a diplexer in the house to split the antenna/satellite and one outside

so wold it still work even though I have a 22k switch that feeds into a diseqc?

What I have now:

G10/IA7------22khz Switch-------diseqc-------receiver, and to IA5 dish

IF it would work...would I do this?

diplexer-----diseqc-------diplexer----one side to 22k and one side to OTA?

THANKS! I will print it off at home :) I have a few days off this week, so am planning a new OTA and putting the other Primestar up :)

I havent tried it after the switch but if you select another port, then that cuts off the opportunity to use the OTA :)
(plus I don't know if it works that way or not)

Remember ..... inserting devices into your line will decrease the signal strength. You will lose at least 3dB by inserting the diplexers. If you want the best signal quality possible, avoid switches, diplexers and DiSEqC switches.

Selecting a DiSEqC port without the diplexed signal would result in no OTA.

Last edited:
SatelliteAV said:
If you want the best signal quality possible, avoid switches, diplexers and DiSEqC switches.

Agreed :) I loath to add any kind of switch a system, not only will you loose signal/dB but its just one more thing to go wrong! An extra run of coax will seldom go bad :D

Wish to re-hash this for a bit. As soon as my Fortec Dish arrives, I wanna diplex the 1 LNB into my receiver and have OTA available for my TV when the receiver is turned off. I will ONLY operate 1 dish at this time with a motor.

Now, do I need a Diseqc switch to operate the motor? I doubt it, but would like to know for sure.

Also, when ever will I need a 22Khz switch? Is that necessary for the motor? Again, using a Coolsat 4000 and only 1 LNB at this time.

The receiver will have an antenna input on the back, you can hook your TV antenna to that, when you turn the satellite receiver off it will pass the TV signal through. Other than that you would need a diplexer at each end of the cable.

Sweet, cause remember, my OTA antenna is outdoor. Just wanna be sure I can diplex at both ends going in and coming out.

Antenna and LNB come into diplexer and output to my incoming line, then incoming line goes to back of entertainment center where it is split into antenna (no voltage) and LNB (voltage) AM i right? Sure hope so.

techno935 said:
Now, do I need a Diseqc switch to operate the motor? I doubt it, but would like to know for sure.
no

Also, when ever will I need a 22Khz switch? Is that necessary for the motor? Again, using a Coolsat 4000 and only 1 LNB at this time.
a 22k switch works like a 2x1 Diseqc switch. Can't be used with a Universal LNB but works fine for 2 standard LNB's. If you have 1 LNB its not needed

I use a 22k switch mainly because its smaller (Its an old DirecTV 22k switch)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)