OTA with Hopper and Joey

MagnumVP

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
CA
I have a single Coax cable that run to the Hopper and a single Coax cable that runs to the Joey.

Dish can not figure it out and I hoping that someone here can.

I have the OTA module plugged into the USB port. I have tried a few different configurations but can't get OTA and the Joey to work at the same time.

OTA.jpg

Any anyone help or will it require me to pull two Coax to the hopper?

You will need a second coax to get the OTA to the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Since the Hopper is connected to my Wired Ethernet network can I hook up the Joey to the Ethernet network as well and stream to the Joey through the network instead of through the Coax?

Last edited:
Ethernet joey will work, however, there is no tuner in the joey. You could use that coax for ota but it would need to be plugged into the tv, not joey.

Remember that the tuners are in the hopper, and in order to get ota on the joeys, it needs to come from the hopper.

That may work then. If I unplug the Joey from the Coax and plug it into the Ethernet network. I can then plug in the OTA antenna (just like the diagram on the left in m first post) and get OTA on the Hopper via Coax and then steam to the Joey via Ethernet.

I'm going to try it and see if it works

Sorry, I didn't look at the pictures the first time. That won't work. You can't diplex the ota in with the sat feed to the hopper. You'll need to run a second coax into the room. Or try a simple indoor ota and see what you get. I use a tv2 remote antenna off an old 722 as my ota and get about 20 channels.

I believe the moca and the ota run at a similar frequency, and it's muddling the moca signal, causing joe to not work.

Basically no way of using that OTA module unless you connect it to the Hopper and have a second cable from the antenna to the module.

Come on you guys! If your Joeys are connected via your LAN, then you can put an isolator on the Hopper to kill the moca signal, and then diplex as usual (past the node). I think you could even get away with diplexers alone, though that would mean you are radiating the moca signal out your antenna. ;)

N.B. I haven't done this myself.

Not a supported configuration and might just be asking for trouble down the road.

Sorry, I didn't look at the pictures the first time. That won't work.

It seems to work just fine when I set it up like the image on the left. I get both Sat and Antenna.

Come on you guys! If your Joeys are connected via your LAN, then you can put an isolator on the Hopper to kill the moca signal, and then diplex as usual (past the node).

How do I go about "kill" he moca signal? Do I even have to?

Come on you guys! If your Joeys are connected via your LAN, then you can put an isolator on the Hopper to kill the moca signal, and then diplex as usual (past the node). I think you could even get away with diplexers alone, though that would mean you are radiating the moca signal out your antenna. ;)

N.B. I haven't done this myself.

Are those isolators readily available? I know for sure the inhouse techs don't have access to them.

I have been able to diplex an rf modulated signal from a joey for a customer that didn't want the joey sitting on the kitchen counter. Hopper and joey went downstairs in the basement where there was only 1 line available. We used 2 diplexers and a tap. I had my doubts it would work but was willing to try.

SUCCESS!!!!

I was able to get the Joey and Hopper to work via the Ethernet switch AND the OTA Antenna to be seen at the Hopper.

OTA.jpg

That's the whole point! Kill the moca signal so you can pass your antenna feed over the same line as the Hopper. Probably you couldn't do that because you didn't have the Joeys connected via your LAN.

I tried that very thing last year and it killed my Mocca signal to everything including the hopper. So I couldn't do that.

However it doesn't kill the Ethernet signal :) .

That's the whole point! Kill the moca signal so you can pass your antenna feed over the same line as the Hopper. Probably you couldn't do that because you didn't have the Joeys connected via your LAN.

Yep. Once past the initial installation wizard and the latest software is downloaded, no need for MoCA at all.

No sure if it matter but here is the DiPlexer that I used and it works perfect. View attachment 85967

Yep, that's just your standard Dish-supplied diplexer. Nothing special. Very neat that it passes 3GHz even though it's only rated for 2.2GHz!

The thing was that when I did try to diplex for ota , it killed not only the mocca signal , but the actual satellite too. I got no picture , no mocca , nothing , not even the ota signal. So I gave up on it and just ran another ota coax. So now I have satellite, mocca and ota signal .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts