OTA working, but no NBC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaberocs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
i sprung for the samsung amplified indoor antenna at best buy. got it for like $79 because it was an open item. i could get FOX HD okay (70-85%) which i needed since D* wouldnt give me their FOX HD feed. i also got abc and cbs hd from d* so i dont need that. the only channel i really need now is nbc hd. i live in san francisco and according to antennaweb, the closest nbc transmitter is KNTV which is 53.5 miles away from me. the samsung doesnt seem to pick it up at all, so is there anything else i can do? i really want to keep it indoor. thanks

Just me but before I paid for anything with Samsungs name on it I would have tried a Zentih Silver Sensor from VE @ $22. I am pulling stations up to 65 miles away. You may want to give it a whirl.

there is also the possibility that no indoor antenna will work at that distance. getting reception from that distants is rare, you may need to consider an outdoor antenna.

according to mapquest the KNTV transmitter at mt. allison should be around 20 miles away. im still not sure whether or not KNTV's new transmitter on san bruno mountains is already built. also, the other KNTV signal is 12, so it's VHF. should i just try the silver sensor(or 2 silver sensor trick) or get the 3-in-1 radio shack antenna (15-1800) http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1880

KNTV's transmitter is on Loma Prieta. It's an O&O, so I'm not sure why you aren't getting it via D*. Are you in the East Bay(Walnut Creek east) where KCRA claims rights?

actually no i live in san francisco. should i be receiving the west coast NBC HD feed?

hmm...well i just tried again for a 3rd time with D* HD eligibility rep, and he said KCRA is my affiliate because of my zip code. thats really strange because i only get kntv and kntv is san jose-san francisc-oakland. i dont know...i guess ill have to wait a few months for the NBC HD.

anyway, should i return my samsung ota antenna and get the silver sensor? its definitely cheaper, but will it perform better?

or has anyone tried the VHF/UHF/FM antenna from radio shack? heres the link:http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1880

jaberocs said:
anyway, should i return my samsung ota antenna and get the silver sensor? its definitely cheaper, but will it perform better?

or has anyone tried the VHF/UHF/FM antenna from radio shack? heres the link:http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1880

I have the Radio Shack antenna -- but it's still not going to do what you want.
I live 17-19 mi from our local towers and get an adequate signal -- just barely.

I would suggest you either get a Silver Sensor or a Winegard. If the latter, mount it outdoors.

You won't be able to get signals more than approximately 30mi away unless your antenna is outdoors.

H

just an update...

i got the silver sensor from buy.com. i got the same channels as i did with the samsung, but i now have NBC! i get KNTV (48.2) the antenna is mounted on a TV holder thing from IKEA, so its as high as possible.

So I am told: The same folks who own KNTV own Telemundo, and as a service to us San Franciscans outside the range of the Loma Prieta-based analog channel 11 signal, they broadcast KNTV's NBC feed on 48-2 (a subchannel of Telemundo) off of Sutro. I haven't found this reflected anywhere, including Antennaweb, but you can point your directional antenna at Sutro and receive NBC by tuning 48-2 manually.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)