Ota

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
I live in Los Angeles and I want to get KCAL 9 in HD is there any way I can get that channel if I install and OTA antenna behind my HR20-700? Does anyone know? Thanks for any advice

I live in Los Angeles and I want to get KCAL 9 in HD is there any way I can get that channel if I install and OTA antenna behind my HR20-700? Does anyone know? Thanks for any advice

What is your zip code? You will need the correct antenna that is setup / aimed correctly.

what is you zip code? You will need the correct antenna that is setup / aimed correctly. If you have an MPEG4 setup you will also need to run a dedicated RG6 line for the new OTA antenna. Also, be aware this may get moved to the actual OTA area.

Looks easy enough; I would try the CM4221 or CM4228 aimed at around 71° or so (test it out).

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 118
You would disconnect all power from your DBS receiver.

Setup your antenna (aim with a heading compass).

Run the OTA's dedicated cable into your DBS receiver's antenna jack. (you have MPEG4)

Reconnect all the power and rerun the initial setup; including the scan for locals (or whatever they call it now on your make & model).

They will be added into your current EPG like all the other channels.

Do you have your user manual? (can be found at the DirecTV website for free)

So I will just have to reboot after I install the antenna behind the D* reciever

Well these antennas need to go outside; like at the dish or at the roof line. If you are going to do something right behind your TV/receiver, just go buy a $10 pair of adjustable rabbit ears and do a test before spending any major money on any other gimmick indoor antenna. As close as you are, you should be golden!

But yes, after you install it, just rescan for locals...

So I will just have to reboot after I install the antenna behind the D* reciever

You'll probably want to actually run the Antenna Setup after you reboot it. This will prompt you to enter your zip code and will then scan for available OTA channels in your area.

Once that's done, you can use the "Edit Off Air Settings" screen to see signal strengths and decide which channels you want available in your guide (ones you don't select won't even show up in the "all channels" view).

Ok i am able to get KCAL 9 in HD but any sudden move to the antenna i loose the signal what can I do so it wont loose signal. I was able to watch the Laker game yesterday without any problems but this morning i tried to tweak the antenna and I lost the signal. What should I do

What are your signal strengths? Try adjusting your OTA a little one way or the other and see what happens with the meters on the receiver.

Beyond that, there are amplifiers from Winegard or Channel Master and others. Just make sure its a UHF amp.

My signal strengths are anywhere from 50 to 65 and I think the amp is UHF but I will check it when i get home thanks

That's pretty low... I only have one channel that's that low, and it does have occasional problems. My others are at least in the 70's, mostly between 90 and 100.

Okay after some adjusting I get the majority of the channels including KCAL 9 in HD so I am happy thanks for your help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)