OTA????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark0525

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Ohio
Can someone help me out because I'm pretty stupid when it comes to these things.

What is OTA, and with getting rid of cable and going with Directv is that something I need and if so what's all involved. I hope this makes sense.

OTA = Over The Air

It's the free signal put out by the networks such as NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX. Usually need some sort of antenna to pick them up unless your tv has one built in.

Are you able to get your locals with Directv?

I don't know if it's exactly considered an antenna. Probably the wrong choice of words. My friend has an OTA tuner built in to his older Samsung 56" DLP and can pick up local OTA stations without the use of an external antenna.

Sorry for any confusion.

I didn't know you had nothing better to do than bug me about being nice to other people.

How was my reply not nice ? Have you ever heard of a TV with a built in OTA antenna ?

I have plenty better to do, but when I see someone being smarmy, especially to new posters, I will call them on it. Your answer seemed to qualify.

Mark, First Welcome to the site.

Second, You may not even have to worry about Over The Air if your local channels are offered by D*. Post your Zip Code and many can quickly determine what's available for you if you don't want to muddle through the D* website or with the CSR's ( Customer Service Reps)

Depending on how far away your are from where your local channels broadcast towers are you may need anything from rabbit ears to a long range Rooftop mounted antenna.

You can go to AntennaWeb

Click on the choose an antenna button and go from there. That will give you a good idea of what you're going to need for an antenna. It's pretty straight forward and not too technical.

Mark, First Welcome to the site.

Second, You may not even have to worry about Over The Air if your local channels are offered by D*. Post your Zip Code and many can quickly determine what's available for you if you don't want to muddle through the D* website or with the CSR's ( Customer Service Reps)

Depending on how far away your are from where your local channels broadcast towers are you may need anything from rabbit ears to a long range Rooftop mounted antenna.

You can go to AntennaWeb

Click on the choose an antenna button and go from there. That will give you a good idea of what you're going to need for an antenna. It's pretty straight forward and not too technical.

Yorktown...this is a good post...you could learn a lot here....;)

Thanks for all the help. Yes I do get local channels. So I guess I really shouldn't worry about the OTA channels. Just was reading some on here and thought maybe there were more channles that I could get since 200 isn't enough for me...lol Thanks again. This is a great site.

Well, with OTA of your locals, you can get some additional channels.

For instance, our local Fox affiliate has Channel 6.1 it broadcasts mostly old TV shows all day like Marcus Welby, Gunsmoke, Emergency and the like. If you're into that, it's worth it.

Our PBS stations (we have 2) I think have a total of 57 sub channels (just kidding) more like 10-12. Offering everything from music with graphics to a weather radar, to PBS sprout, and other things I don't watch.

If you have an inclination to check it out go ahead after all, it's FREE!

And yes, this site is great, but as with anything there's always a couple of grumpy bears in the crowd.

Well, with OTA of your locals, you can get some additional channels.

For instance, our local Fox affiliate has Channel 6.1 it broadcasts mostly old TV shows all day like Marcus Welby, Gunsmoke, Emergency and the like. If you're into that, it's worth it.

Our PBS stations (we have 2) I think have a total of 57 sub channels (just kidding) more like 10-12. Offering everything from music with graphics to a weather radar, to PBS sprout, and other things I don't watch.

If you have an inclination to check it out go ahead after all, it's FREE!

And yes, this site is great, but as with anything there's always a couple of grumpy bears in the crowd.

Grumpy bears? I wonder who....oh never mind! :D Here in CT the local CW has the This network on a subchannel, and PBS has Create. The NBC station has the "Olympic Channel", and there is weather on the others. Not all that much there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)