Ota's More Difficult To Get On Dish Than Voom

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I am having problems getting some of the OTA channels with Dish that I had no problem pulling in with the VOOM STB. Is this because the Dish STB is not as strong as the VOOM STB? I have not moved my antenna. My locals have not changed their broadcast power. What gives???

I thought I had read something about this here before but could not locate the thread. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

If so, what is the solution?

If you are using the OTA antenna voom installed and its amplified (like the winegard antenna) then there is issues with the dish reciever...basically the power is not getting passed back to the antenna...there are numerous threads covering this issue so do a quick search....here is a good thread that talks about the DP-3020 and how to have a setup with dish and powered OTA antennas:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70201

Best thing is to put up a real antenna with a separate pre-amp that bypasses the 811 entirely, I have deep fringe Yagi with RS pre-amp and CM rotator w/ remote and I lock on to 3 separate markets quite well.

I am having the same problem. With my Voom receiver I was picking up channels with a signal of 88-99. Now with the 942 I am at 70-83 and lose my station lock all the time. I have a direct line from the antenna to the receiver and all the stations are within 20 miles from my location. Any ideas?

Minsk1 said:
July 1 deadline for going full power digital is close now.
Wait two more weeks :D
Bring it on! I'm ready. :bounce

I've noticed that some of the OTA's in my area have been going on/off air quite a bit. I assume they are installing equipment for the July deadline. :clap

Prometheus23 sorry to bum you out but from what I read the OTA antenna in the Voom box was one of the best in dealing with OTA issues such as multipath, on the flip side I have heard the dish boxes are some of the worst...as long as my single is above 75 on my dish box the OTA channel is stable so....

Well I worked out my problem. I climbed up on my roof rotated the antenna about 1/4 of an inch and that was all it took. All the channels are coming in clear as day. Have absolutly no idea why that made such a difference but I am good to go!

I know the deadline of July 1 is looming but is the power really going to go up for most channels in most top markets? Arent most technically adhering to the requirements in the top 50 markets and this deadline is really only making sure PSP info is being passed and exceptions and no longer excepted. So the stragler guys that are fusiously working on towers finish by July 1.

I hope I am wrong and the power does go up therefore everyone's signals improve.

Bumping up from 1/2 power to full power only gains 3db in strength, not a significant amount if you are already having an issue.

But bumping from really low power (11 units) to full power (1000 units or more) - this is a totally different case.
Sorry, don't remember units they are using. :D

ERP (effective radiating power) 1.0 = 1 megawatt.

DarrellP is correct. "Bumping up from 1/2 power to full power only gains 3db in strength, not a significant amount if you are already having an issue".

But on the flipside, my local FOX station just upgraded to full power and it made a large difference.

I'm 30 miles from the towers. Signal strength on a an 811 went from a spotty 65-72 to 95-98

Before they were at an ERP of .066 mw, they upped it to .660 mw, which is a considerable jump and made a significant difference.

So it really depends on what the ERP was before they move up to their full power signal.

And full power does not neccessarily mean 1 megawatt. The ERP depends on coverage area and neighboring markets (so they don't step on a neighboring signal)

I am in LA and had excellent OTA reception with DirecTV and VOOM but with Dish I am loosing PBS, ABC & WB local channels. I could probably just go back to the VOOM STB coudn't I to get the OTA? Hope this changes soon.

Yep, using the same antenna (Channel Master with pre-amp that VOOM put up), I can tell, the Dish OTA rec. is not as sensitive. I had to go back to using the VOOM unit as just the OTA receiver. Extra wires and hookup, but worth it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)