Out Of Market OTA

shorrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Does anyone know why we do not receive the sattlite feeds for Out of market areas?.

We are in the west palm beach market. We receive all of the Miami channels over the Air. Since Miami has HD channels and SD Channels over the sattlite, and are on the same spotbeam, I was wondering why we cannot get the miami channels over the sattlite beam.

Anyone know? or is it part of the local/distance bickering that constantly goes on.

Thanks,

Tom

Does anyone know why we do not receive the sattlite feeds for Out of market areas?.

We are in the west palm beach market. We receive all of the Miami channels over the Air. Since Miami has HD channels and SD Channels over the sattlite, and are on the same spotbeam, I was wondering why we cannot get the miami channels over the sattlite beam.

Anyone know? or is it part of the local/distance bickering that constantly goes on.

Thanks,

Tom

It is the local/distant stuff. You are only able to receive your "local" channels from the Satellites. Only option would be to "move."

If they are indeed on the same satellite (I have no idea what locals are on what bird) then do a search for Moving on this forum and that will tell you how to get the Miami channels instead of the West Palm Beach locals on the Dish and you will still get your West Palm Beach locals via antenna.

Geoff

I get that if I were looking for stations from Atlanta or something. but since I get them over the air they are not out of my market. I don't know if the area I'm in is generally unique across the US or not, but do others pickup multiple major markets and are limited to only one?

Cable and satellite are regualted differently. Satellite si not always allowed to sell you stations from outside of the market and the same court decision that prevents DISH from selling distant nets prevents them from selling even the "significantly viewed" channels they did for a short time.

the bottom line is that you are limited. Most of us can only see our locals and the superstations.

The problem came about because the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) whined to Congress about satellite viewers picking up networks from other cities. See, local stations make their money selling airtime for ads, etc. So, they price their ads by the number of viewers in a particular time slot. Well, if a lot of those viewers end up watching some other city's affiliate station then the local station loses reach and can't get as much ad revenue.

It's all a cop-out really. I'm of the opinion that if you want people to watch your station then you need to get better content instead of a government bully. Some cities have crappy broadcasters but satellite customers are forced to keep them instead of getting their network from another affiliate. The FCC should turn this ruling over and let customers decide who will deliver them ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. Wouldn't it be nice to get ABC from one city, CBS from another, etc.?

What you need to do is call "ALL American Direct"(Not direct tv) and tell them you got dish and are interested in out of area locals. They work with dish accounts and its a way around that stupid law congress passed.. I bet congress doesnt even have dish.. jerks!

I wonder what the laws are about picking up locals via OTA and then using something like slingboxes to compose a niche IPTV service. I don't know if you can legally re-transmit a free broadcast.

Well, I guess someone could seek out retransmission consents and just bring each city online one market at a time. I've seen rates of up to $1 per sub for a local network being charged to the cable companies. Makes me wonder if DISH and Direct can actually make any money on the local channel packages or if they are just a break even proposition to keep subs happy.

I get that if I were looking for stations from Atlanta or something. but since I get them over the air they are not out of my market. I don't know if the area I'm in is generally unique across the US or not, but do others pickup multiple major markets and are limited to only one?

Not quite true. Just because you receive them OTA does not mean you are in market. I am near Niagara Falls, US (Buffalo, NY market). I receive Toronto stations OTA. I am certainly not in the Toronto market. I can also get Rochester OTA. I'm not in that market either. There's a guy not far from me that has an *awesome* telescoping tower and he can get OTA from Erie PA. He is certainly not in the Erie, PA market.

I do understand what you're saying, but your actual market has nothing to do with which stations you are able to receive OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)