out-of-market reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BZReeve

Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I'm new to this site.

I live just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and have DirecTV. I would prefer to get Philadelphia, PA (300 miles away) local stations, though. So I called DirecTV and changed my service address to a Philadelphia address. I then began getting local Philadelphia stations. This lasted for about 2 to 3 months, and now it just says "Searching for Signal" on these Philadelphia local channels and I can't get them anymore.
DirecTV says if the receiver is out of the Philadelphia area, I won't be able to get Philadelphia stations. But it did work for me before.
Is there anything I can do to boost this signal or increase my reception of these channels?? Does it have something to do with the satellite's orientation in space during the different seasons, and therefore I would only get it at certain times of the year?
Thank you very much for any help you can give me with this!

I'm new to this site.

I live just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and have DirecTV. I would prefer to get Philadelphia, PA (300 miles away) local stations, though. So I called DirecTV and changed my service address to a Philadelphia address. I then began getting local Philadelphia stations. This lasted for about 2 to 3 months, and now it just says "Searching for Signal" on these Philadelphia local channels and I can't get them anymore.
DirecTV says if the receiver is out of the Philadelphia area, I won't be able to get Philadelphia stations. But it did work for me before.
Is there anything I can do to boost this signal or increase my reception of these channels?? Does it have something to do with the satellite's orientation in space during the different seasons, and therefore I would only get it at certain times of the year?

It sounds like Directv adjusted their spot beam size and you are no longer within it. Too bad, huh?

I'm new to this site.

WELCOME!

I live just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and have DirecTV. I would prefer to get Philadelphia, PA (300 miles away) local stations, though. So I called DirecTV and changed my service address to a Philadelphia address. I then began getting local Philadelphia stations.

You should be aware, if you are not, that this IS a violation of your DirecTV user agreement. It WILL also harm you if you ever need upgrading and such, as they will send to the billing address. AFAIK and have read.

This lasted for about 2 to 3 months, and now it just says "Searching for Signal" on these Philadelphia local channels and I can't get them anymore. DirecTV says if the receiver is out of the Philadelphia area, I won't be able to get Philadelphia stations. But it did work for me before.

Maybe they have altered the transponders used, the size and/or shape of the spot beam; this can and does happen.

NO, to all of those questions.

EDIT: Sorry Chip, I was in the process of typing and did not mean to repeat and overrun your comment.

Last edited:
WELCOME!

You should be aware, if you are not, that this IS a violation of your DirecTV user agreement. It WILL also harm you if you ever need upgrading and such, as they will send to the billing address. AFAIK and have read.

Maybe they have altered the transponders used, the size and/or shape of the spot beam; this can and does happen.

NO, to all of those questions.

EDIT: Sorry Chip, I was in the process of typing and did not mean to repeat and overrun your comment.

No problem! You were taking the time to actually answer his question, whereas I was being short and to the point!

Guess I'm back to my Pittsburgh locals. Thanks for your help in answering my questions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)