Outage coincidence?

zevs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
I have a trusty old 622 that’s been faithfully chugging along on 119 and 110 for years now with a 500 dish that has been dangerously close to a tree line for a while. A couple weeks ago the signal started dropping a lot so I figured the trees had finally grown into line of sight and the leaves were just starting to come out. Now I’ve lost 119 entirely and 110 is at about 60%.

Here’s the strange thing. Even though 110 drops often, when my Knoxville, TN locals do come in now, they are usually the blue Dish “we are aware” screen that I’m pretty sure I’ve seen when there are bad storms in the area and my local channel lost its uplink momentarily.

That’s probably just a coincidence, right? I’m not missing a huge solar flare or something am I?

The outage slate can represent just general signal loss, as well as when there is an issue with the uplink centers, which may be the case given what you said about the tree and leaves. It could be related to that, or the dish itself may just need to be re-pointed for peak angles. Send me a PM here and we can check it out further.

Do you have a 622 or a 522?

The 622 is an HD receiver and should be on a D1000.X pointed at 110/119/129.

In any case it sounds like you need to trim the trees back, maybe move your dish east 10 ft or so if you can and see about getting a D1000.2 for the HD satellite 129 if you need it.

I went out to adjust the dish to peak and it turns out a cable was frayed and barely hanging on. I think this was the issue the whole time, but I'm convinced the blue "we're aware" screen comes from the receiver itself now even though it looks like a classic broadcast "technical difficulties" screen.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think technically the "we're aware" screen is accurate, so long as you have a return path (phone line or internet connected to Dish system) and the set top system health monitoring is active. Your dish could be blocked by trees or be suffering other local signal degradation, and the fact that they "are aware" may be correct. Maybe this is what it means?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)