Outdoor Antenna Amplifer question -

jgags6 said:
I believe that Rick was talking about the Rockford locals being overloaded. Madison is a good 50 miles away from me. I dont think that they are overloaded, especially when the other 5 digital channels all in the same area come in fine.

Please stop "second guessing" the expert advice that has been offered.

When an amplifier is overloaded it creates signals on frequencies where there were no signals before the amplifier. Those signals would be too weak to interfere with local stations, but cover up distant stations.

Even if you had no overload you would be very lucky to get NBC channel 19 WMTV-DT in Madison. Antennaweb shows an LPTV station on channel 19 closer to you.

Ordered the Winegard AP-4700 from Summit Source. Should have it by week's end. I'll post the the results when I get it installed. I'm thinking it should work well as it will give a plus in db's at my first set rather than a big minus I've been getting.

I was amazed to see the noise figures of the RS Amp +7db to + 9db...which is really horrible.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Wooo-hoo!

Winegard AP-4700 arrived today....Installed it and checked channels. The VHF that was by-passed looks great and with higher signal strengths than I had with RS 10db amp. All the weaker UHF channels have bumped into the low to mid 90's with my PBS which was really low (60's) into the mid-80's now. I couldn't be happier with the results. No signal overload on any of the stronger channels.

Winegard makes excellent stuff, antennas and amps. It pays to buy the best.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread and previous threads I have made..

This forum, and it's contributors "Rock"!

Cheers!

WHats a good amp for 74006. I get nbs, cbs, fox, upn, all in upper 80's and ABC is 66-69. I have a older outdoor antenna. My ABC is VHF (10.1) so Perhaps a should get one that bypass's UHF? However there are some independents on VHY in the 50's, so maybe the AP8833?
-CHas

Last edited:
please share more info.

length of coax from antenna to distribution point

number of splits

length of coax for each split.

model of antenna.

Rick0725 said:
please share more info.
SORRY! :)

length of coax from antenna to distribution point- approx 95ft to a 2ghz splitter. output one goes 20ft to dish 622 and output 2 will go to HDTVwonder approx 220ft.

number of splits- 2

length of coax for each split.- 20-25ft

model of antenna. older channelmaster, cant find model# on it its about 10+ yrs old, its awefull close to TERK's TV38

Rick0725 said:
length of coax for each split.- 20-25ft

is this 220 ft length correct?

Yes, correct

I will need to put a splitter of some sort to go to the CPU and keep the existing to my 622. I have a CATV coax ran for my internet, is there a way to combine a CABLE and OTA signal and uncombine (kinda like diplexing SAT/ANT)

Rick0725 said:
this does not compute then.

220 foot run? from where to where.

sorry been in and out of attic ALL day. Here is what I have now....

Coax1 ran 150ft to 2way splitter. Coax1a 20 ft from splitter to dish 622, Coax1b 25ft from splitter to hypothesisA (splitter\combiner) Co
Coax2 (cable internet only) ran into HYPO1b, HYPO 1A and 1B ran to hypo2 single (hypo2 is splitter/combiner). HYPO2a to Cable modem HYPO2b to HDTV card in PC.
Coax3 Ran from Dish1000 to Dishpro+ seperator then to 622 sat 1 & 2.

So here is where I am at...

ZIP 74006

8.1 0%
23.1 77%
41.1 76%
6.1 79%
2.1 79%
11.1 82%

dont know what happened to 8.1 (10.1) but its gone..? (tried without splitter and its gone still) I am 52 miles away from antenna farm in tulsa, 56 from 8.1. antennaweb does not show my digital stations for my zip. I emailed them them and they said they get no cooperation from Tulsa's tv engineers?

I was think of adding a WINEGARD AP8275

Questions

1. What product is HYPO 1 and 2, and MHZ needed?
2. Will the winegard improve my situation, I have no preamp installed.
3 or did I confuse the hell out of you, LOL :D

Coax1 ran 150ft to 2way splitter. Coax1a 20 ft from splitter to dish 622, Coax1b 25ft from splitter to hypothesisA (splitter\combiner) Co

150' coax @ 1db loss per 16'=-9.5
2way splitter -3.5
20' coax -1.5
-3.5 for diplexor

9.5+3.5+1.5+3.5=18db.

these stations are close by (16.5 and 21.7 miles) and do not want to take a chance with the higher gain on a ap8275 or cm7777.

KDOR 17 TBN BARTLESVILLE OK 146° 16.5 17
KPBI 34 IND EUREKA SPRINGS AR 181° 21.7 34

CM7777 UHF/VHF UHF: 26db gain, 2.0 db noise; VHF 23 db gain, 2.8 db noise
AP8275 UHF/VHF UHF: 28db gain, 2.8 db noise; VHF 29 db gain, 2.9 db noise

would go with the winegard ap8700 which has a higher input tolerance and will match up pretty closely.

AP8700 UHF/VHF UHF: 19db gain, 2.8 db noise; VHF 17 db gain, 2.8 db noise

Rick0725 said:
KDOR 17 TBN BARTLESVILLE OK 146° 16.5 17
KPBI 34 IND EUREKA SPRINGS AR 181° 21.7 34

Thats weird, 47 is 29% and Eureka Springs, is at least 150 miles away...?

so still that AP8700?
antennaweb is not accurate for my area according to their Database manager.

ALso, what device is HYPO1 and 2? I am assuming a 5-200mhz splitter and then used backwards to uncombine?

Rick0725 said:
sticking with th ap8700 decision.

yellow KDOR 17 TBN BARTLESVILLE OK 146° 16.5 17

ok, good for me, I will get it but what aboiut...?

what device is HYPO1 and 2? I am assuming a 5-200mhz splitter and then used backwards to uncombine?

you should keep cable tv and off air separate because of overlap of channels/frequencies.

Diplexors can get messy in an install. rather run separate coax for off air and satellite too.

I rather keep the situation clean and simple. but sometimes you need to use diplexors for convenience sake.

Rick0725 said:
you should keep cable tv and off air separate because of overlap of channels/frequencies.

Diplexors can get messy in an install. rather run separate coax for off air and satellite too.

I rather keep the situation clean and simple. but sometimes you need to use diplexors for convenience sake.

yes, Its just hard to get the coax ran to that area, thats why I was wondering if I could use a splitter backwards for OTA and cable. I know internet is on the UHF freq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts