Outdoor antenna placement and setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

poscher7

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
utica,ny
Hi, I believe there is a section of the FCC law that says the mast can be up to 12 feet above the roof line? I own my home but the neighbors are a concern.

Does anyone know how a coupler is best used vs a splitter?

I am ganging up 3 of the same boost waves yaggies to receive 3 separate towers fro Syracuse, NY at my home southwest of Utica, NY. Have used Antenna Fool. Not sure if all 3 would need to be connected to the coupler? I am sending this to 4 rooms.

Thanks

Hi, I believe there is a section of the FCC law that says the mast can be up to 12 feet above the roof line? I own my home but the neighbors are a concern.
see sticky in this section:
FCC Says you CAN put up that antenna - HoA can't stop you (FCC OTARD reference) there's links to the FCC
You suspect local ordnances or HOA interference?

I am ganging up 3 of the same boost waves yaggies to receive 3 separate towers fro Syracuse, NY at my home southwest of Utica, NY.
If all are in nearly the same direction, multiple antennas are probably NOT required.
BTW: what is a "boost waves yaggies" link to product?

Combiners are usually to use separate/individual UHF and VHF antennas.

Post your tvfool for more specifics (something for us to 'go on')

Reactions: Mr Tony
is this it ? http://boostwaves.com/
I'd suggest something from HERE** as a better option, leave the boostwaves for suburban (20 mile) signals. **they give you real performance data, not hype.
Your tvfool report would get better details from us.
Go to maps.google.com and zoom in to your house, then right click and click "What's Here" to get you exact coordinates. (Lat and long) use those for the tvfool report. (Check coordinates)

Reactions: Mr Tony
Not particularly accurate.
FCC OTARD said:
Q: What restrictions are permitted if the antenna must be on a very tall mast to get a signal?

A: If you have an exclusive use area that is covered by the rule and need to put your antenna on a mast, the local government, community association or landlord may require you to apply for a permit for safety reasons if the mast extends more than 12 feet above the roofline. If you meet the safety requirements, the permit should be granted. Note that the Commission's rule only applies to antennas and masts installed wholly within the antenna user's exclusive use area. Masts that extend beyond the exclusive use area are outside the scope of the rule. For installations on single family homes, the "exclusive use area" generally would be anywhere on the home or lot and the mast height provision is usually most relevant in these situations. For example, if a homeowner needs to install an antenna on a mast that is more than 12 feet taller than the roof of the home, the homeowners' association or local zoning authority may require a permit to ensure the safety of such an installation, but may not prohibit the installation unless there is no way to install it safely. On the other hand, if the owner of a condominium in a building with multiple dwelling units needs to put the antenna on a mast that extends beyond the balcony boundaries, such installation would generally be outside the scope and protection of the rule, and the condominium association may impose any restrictions it wishes (including an outright prohibition) because the Commission rule does not apply in this situation.
OTARD allows for pretty much whatever is needed in an "exclusive use area" but it doesn't excuse you from a jurisdictional requirement for a "safety permit"/building permit.

But for simple argument the rule is 12 feet above the roof line you are covered
Anything above that you are not covered as it clearly says in OTARD

Its like when I had my 2 6 foot dishes at my house. Sure I wasnt covered by OTARD but I was able to have them (being president of the HOA may have had something to do with it) ;)

There are vanishingly few simple arguments in HOAs and the like.

OTARD says you can have whatever height you need but it doesn't exempt you from building codes. It should be an uphill battle for an HOA that establishes its own "safety code" as the rule requires that restrictions be based on identified safety issues.

The Santa Rosa, California building code department has a tidy explanation:

http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/departme...n/Pages/Radios,TelevisionandDishAntennas.aspx

It is also notable that the 12 foot rule has more to do with mast height than altitude as masts are only covered up to 12 feet in height and not simply "12 feet above the roof" as you generalized. Ground-mounted masts aren't exempt if they are more than 12 feet in height above the ground. Further, the 12 foot rule applies only to single antenna configurations; masts with more than one antenna attached is NOT covered. Antennas on greater than two-story homes are NOT covered. Masts must NOT be taller than their distance from the property line. There's some stuff about proximity to utility lines as well. There are several gotchas in there so it is rarely a no-brainer.

There is also an exception in OTARD for historic districts (as they wouldn't have contemplated a TV antenna when they were built).

again for simplicity (and to answer the OP's question) again form OTARD

If you have an exclusive use area that is covered by the rule and need to put your antenna on a mast, the local government, community association or landlord may require you to apply for a permit for safety reasons if the mast extends more than 12 feet above the roofline.

So as long as its no more than 12 feet above the roofline he is covered. No permits needed. But since the OP hasnt given us his tvfool to see what he is working with we can just speculate

So as long as its no more than 12 feet above the roofline he is covered. No permits needed. But since the OP hasnt given us his tvfool to see what he is working with we can just speculate
The TS asked for confirmation of an OTARD protection. Using a Q&A or FAQ as a basis for an legal position is pretty swampy legal ground.

A tvfool chart isn't the final answer as it represents a prediction and not a measurement.

To the topic, we don't even know whether there are any restrictions from applicable jurisdictions as the TS said only that they were concerned about "neighbors". Since that is the leading question, unless there is a covenant tied to the deed or local building codes are somehow in play, OTARD says the neighbors have to live with whatever is "necessary".

I'd have to guess that three separate antennas would not be necessary at 55 miles as all of the Syracuse towers seem to be within a few degrees (less than 5) of each other from the Utica perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)