Outlook erasing incoming - virus?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yep, that's it. Any way to easily disable it?

In Outlook....Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Options, COM Add-Ins. Delete the Outlook plugin. You will have to do it every time you update iTunes.

Do you have iTunes installed? iTunes installs an Add-On that keeps the Outlook.exe process open.
That should only happen when iTunes is running. But StevenD has the solution if you don't want to sync your iPod/iPhone with your Outlook: get rid of the COM+ add-in.

BTW, my post earlier about the headings was wrong (I'm at work now :eek:) and I can see what I was trying to remember: The different folder views show messages grouped by Date (if that's how you have them sorted) with headings of "Date: Today", "Date: Yesterday", "Date: Monday", etc., then previous weeks as in "Date: Last Week", "Date: Two Weeks Ago", and so on, until the final "Date: Last Month" and "Date: Older". To the left of these headings is a [-] button that will collapse the heading and make all the messages in that time frame "go away" until the messages no longer fall into that date range or you expand the heading by pressing the [+].

.... The different folder views show messages grouped by Date (if that's how you have them sorted) with headings of "Date: Today", "Date: Yesterday", "Date: Monday", etc., then previous weeks as in "Date: Last Week", "Date: Two Weeks Ago", and so on, until the final "Date: Last Month" and "Date: Older". To the left of these headings is a [-] button that will collapse the heading and make all the messages in that time frame "go away" until the messages no longer fall into that date range or you expand the heading by pressing the [+].

Which version are you using? I'm using Outlook 2003 (at home) and I can go to View and see that they are arranged by date and grouped. If I go to Expand or Collapse Groups, it will collapse if I so choose, and then I can see the [+] marks. No "Date: Today" just "Date: Yesterday" etc. Except today when I hit Send/Receive it said it was downloading 14 messages, and I can now see 11 of them. Maybe my rules got the rest, haven't checked yet, but they're not in Junk or Deleted.

Don't know what's going on. Maybe AVG helped? But every time I run it, I end up seeing a bios log in screen. Maybe after Labor Day I can rebuild my system.

Thank you for your help.

That should only happen when iTunes is running. But StevenD has the solution if you don't want to sync your iPod/iPhone with your Outlook: get rid of the COM+ add-in.

Not quite. I have the problem if Outlook is running and someone launches itunes and then exits out. Outlook will continue to keep the process active when you exit. I disabled over lunch and will see if that fixes it. Problem is my kids use the computer while I am at work, so I have no clue if itunes has been launched or for that matter, updated.

Don't know what's going on. Maybe AVG helped? But every time I run it, I end up seeing a bios log in screen. Maybe after Labor Day I can rebuild my system.

Thank you for your help.

Are you saying that every time you run AVG that you get a bios log in screen as in when you start your computer and hit either delete or F10 it brings up the system bios screen? If thats the case then you should look through the help database for AVG and the forums for AVG as this is not a normal function of any antivirus program out there and something is definitely amiss with your computer.

Actually, sometimes I would come back late in a scan attempt and would just see the computer sitting there waiting for me to enter the pw at the bios start up screen. And no, I did not turn on the switch to reboot or shut down at end of scan. Sometimes it's just locked up. Finally, it completed a scan successfully.

I have my bios set up to require a pw before it will go to windows. So something has failed and rebooted the PC. Sometimes these things happen. But awfully often lately.

Really weird, but I really need to get the CDs all together, the Belarc info, and install new HDDs and start over. Then I can always go back if I've lost something important.

If that doesn't work, might just move to the laptop exclusively with network or external storage, rather than buy another desktop. Esp since it'll be a Vista machine. Then when W7 comes out....

If I have to buy a new desktop, it'll be one of the ASUS mobos with Linux built in.

Have to use Outlook at work, for Exchange and training consistency.

At home, using Outlook to sync with work and County Outlook. Might be able to work around that. Plus PDA sync, and phone sync. I'll look into it, thanks.

How old is the PC? If it's acting flaky, it could be bad electrolytic capacitors on the Mobo or in the P/S. I think I posted a picture of what to look for in the Folding thread.

Here's the post from that thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/935365-post581.html

Last edited:
Actually, sometimes I would come back late in a scan attempt and would just see the computer sitting there waiting for me to enter the pw at the bios start up screen. And no, I did not turn on the switch to reboot or shut down at end of scan. Sometimes it's just locked up. Finally, it completed a scan successfully.

I have my bios set up to require a pw before it will go to windows. So something has failed and rebooted the PC. Sometimes these things happen. But awfully often lately.

Really weird, but I really need to get the CDs all together, the Belarc info, and install new HDDs and start over. Then I can always go back if I've lost something important.

If that doesn't work, might just move to the laptop exclusively with network or external storage, rather than buy another desktop. Esp since it'll be a Vista machine. Then when W7 comes out....

If I have to buy a new desktop, it'll be one of the ASUS mobos with Linux built in.
Its odd that it would want to go to the bios wich makes me think that a program is directing to the bios and at one time in the past I had this particular issue that ultimately lead to the dead and reformat of the system. I cant fully remember what it was but there was something on my computer that either norton or mcaffee couldnt see but would cause all sorts of problems with one of them being that during a system scan by the virus software it would end up rebooting and going to the system bios and like you I have always had passwords on mine so I was inclined to believe it was a bios worm.

How old is the PC? If it's acting flaky, it could be bad electrolytic capacitors on the Mobo or in the P/S. I think I posted a picture of what to look for in the Folding thread.

Here's the post from that thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/935365-post581.html
Thanks for the link and the pic, thats what I needed to see to diagnose my old system.

I'm really not expressing myself well. It's not going to the bios. I set up in the bios both a system/setup pw & a user pw. So every time I turn on the PC, the bios info (RAM, etc) flashes by and it sits there waiting for the user pw to be entered, before it will proceed to load Windows.

While running AVG, something happens that freezes the PC, or forces a reboot (not shut down).

Some malware when it detects that it is being deleted or attacked will force a reboot. This then brings you back to the bios startup screen where you have the bios password set.

Not sure how Hijackthis can have a false positive - it just reports information from key areas of your registry / configuration.

I would:
Shutdown System Restore since malware can hide in there easily.
Load and run CCleaner to clean out all temporary spaces.
Reboot into Safe Mode and run AVG scan.
Run Hijackthis to see what it reports. I'd be glad to go over it with you.

I usually boot off of a BART-PE cd and go have a personal look in the Windows, System, and System32 folders and sort by date to see what new and unwelcome apps might be lurking there while I have the boot OS sidelined.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works quite well these days. I left Spybot S/D and Adaware years ago. They really were not doing me any good and cookies are no real threat to any machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)