OutLook Express Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I can receive emails, forward emails and reply to emails from anyone but cannot send a new email unless it is to a bellsouth.net email address.. It appears to be working fine with no error messages but no one receives my emails outside of bellsouth.net. My isp is with bellsouth and have xp as my os. Bellsouth says it is a problem with OutLook Express. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Must be that they changed the port number for their SMTP server.

Go to Tools, Accounts, Mail, Select your account and then click on Properties. In the advanced tab, check the box that says "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)". Click Apply and try sending mail. If that didn't work you may want to check with them as to what port they're using to send mail. The default port for SMTP is 25 but they can change it to 465 or something else.

ssl is checked and the tech I spoke to said port 25 for SMTP. I will call back and see if there is another port. Thanks.

Do you have a static or dynamic IP?

Sometimes when both are allowed, the SMTP server will refuse to send your e-mail if the static IP you are using
has a different name in your provider's DNS tables than your computer is using. Everything else would work as you describe.

Diogen.

RandallA I called bellsouth twice and had to go through there check list only for them to tell me twice the only port for SMTP is 25. diogen you may have hit on something but I don't know how to check this. I don't know what a static or dynamic ip is. I have bellsouth as my isp and I use outlook for my emails. I don't use their web based email. The last so called bellsouth tech told me to email someone I know that is not a bellsouth.net user. I don't know anyone at home right now. She said she would call me back in about 30 min.

Do you have a static or dynamic IP?

Sometimes when both are allowed, the SMTP server will refuse to send your e-mail if the static IP you are using
has a different name in your provider's DNS tables than your computer is using. Everything else would work as you describe.

Diogen.
Well that bellsouth technichian called back and we reset and reinstalled my modem. I do have a static ip address. She said that she hopes that fixes my problem with my email. Doesn't sound right to me. Who knows. Now all I need is to find somone to email outside of bellsouth.:rolleyes:

Email from outlook went through to Gmail. How about that. Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the dsl modem worked. Do you think that was my problem and it is fixed? Thank you for all the help.

Last edited:
Email from outlook went through to Gmail. How about that. Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the dsl modem worked. Do you think that was my problem and it is fixed? Thank you for all the help.

Your bellsouth contact is incompetent. If Outlook Express had the SMTP server incorrectly-configured, you would not be able to send mail to anyone -- even those in the bellsouth.net domain.

It's more likely that your outgoing mail is getting stopped by a SPAM filter somewhere along the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)