Outside equipment suggestions, please

savage6

Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Murfreesboro TN
I currently have an old Dish 500 with dual LNB, and two SW21 switches, feeding a near new DishDVR 512 receiver. We have locals, and America's Top 250, or whatever they call it now. We only use one television, but we do record a fair amount on DVR when watching other shows. I may soon be switching to an HD flat screen TV, we have an RCA home theater system and a DVD/VCR player hooked in as well, we may soon upgrade to a Blue Ray device as well.

I'm now having constant problems with the switches and reception, especially before, during, and after rain. I replaced my ground block and repaired my cables with sealed ends. Either switch1 or switch 2 constantly goes out. The equipment is old, so I'm not surprised it is failing. All last week, when it was wet, switch 2 was down. Now, this morning, switch 1 is down. I really can't get a signal better than around 75 out of 125, either.

So I'm looking at replacing the dish, the LNB, and the switches. I'd like to get the best possible equipment, without breaking the bank. I live in middle Tennessee, zip code 37130. What equipment should I be looking at? Should I replace the mount as well? The dish has always been mounted on a back corner of the roof, at the low end, about 9' high, it was mounted there by a Dish tech around 10-12 years ago.

I like doing things myself. I prefer to be self sufficient, and doing it myself allows me to know exactly what I have, why, how it works, and how to maintain and tune it so it works as well as possible. I'm gone most of the day, only home after 7PM, and don't generally have the time or inclination to fool with setting up an appointment. Most contractors are not a fan of working around large breed working dogs, either.

Thanks, just the help I was looking for. The DS-1005 is one of the pieces I was looking at, and at that store, too. Which switch should I use? They suggest a DP Plus 44, but I'm not sure why.

The current mount is solid, but, as I said, it is only 9' off the ground, and it is an old mount. Would there be any advantage to a newer mount, and moving it higher? There are no trees obstructing the view of the sky, but there is a large hill about 800' high about 1/4 mile away, and there is a 40-50' tall power line about 200' away, not sure how much RFI there is from it, but our local power system is old and not in great shape. It does not seem to take much inclement weather to really kill reception, often, even a list but steady mist will make reception really poor. When I do this, i'm going to replace the cables from the dish to the ground block, and change the ends on the cables going into the house. I'd lik to do this just once, and have it last a few years with no trouble and good reception.

Last edited:
The 512 is not the newest kid on the block. For a bit over $100 you can get a ViP211K.

Advantages:
- The wiring will be similar to what you are familiar with (as opposed to the Hopper, which is quite different and probably not the best solution for a single TV).
- It supports HD as well as SD TVs.
- Relatively cheap.
- For a one time $40 fee it can be activated to act as a DVR with the addition of an EHD (External Hard Drive).
- It can be taken on the road tailgating if desired.
- You COULD get the Tailgater antenna (NOT cheap) and use it at home and on the road. It finds the satellites automatically- BUT it only works with Western Arc.
- You could repeak your current 500 for 61.5 and add another for 72.7 if desired, or get a dish (as suggested above) that picks up both. Heck, if you were nearby, I'd GIVE you a 500 dish I have laying around, and LNB.

Hmmm. On edit, I see you're on WA. So a single dish to pick up 110, 119 and 129 will suit you fine for HD. Or a Tailgater antenna. I'd definitely move to a 1000.2 antenna. A little harder to aim than a 500, but certainly doable, and you'll likely only have to do it once.

We're on WA?

Okay, if we're on WA (Western Arc, correct?) do we need this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...m)-dish-antenna-(dish1000.2)&sku=753960009391

instead of this :

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...D-Capable-(DS1005)&c=DISH Network Dishes&sku=

Because it says the first one is for HD Western Arc. The second does not mention anything about western arc.

My reciever is about 1 1/2 years old, I guess I may replace it if/when I get the flat screen up (we're remodeling right now).

I don't really need a "tail gater", I do travel to race, but my racing partner is a Direct customer and has a Direct set up in our trailer. So I don't fool with a satellite system when I travel. I just DVR what I want to see and watch it when I get home.

they both appear to me to be the same thing. don't know why they would have different part numbers.

I don't either. I think I'll just wait and call them Monday. I don't know why it would eastern and western arcs would require a different dish and LNB.

I'll keep my 512, for now, and see if maybe I can find a deal on something when the time comes to upgrade.

I agree, I neither need nor want "the hopper".

Thanks for all the help. I'll post the reults later.

I'm thinking maybe some of my weak signal is cable related. So I'm thinking I'll replace all of the cable, since I only need a single cable, it won't be too expensive.

You might as well be sure to use RG-6, not RG-59, and perhaps spring for 3 GHz swept cable for future proofing.

You might as well be sure to use RG-6, not RG-59, and perhaps spring for 3 GHz swept cable for future proofing.

Exactly. I'm looking at putting in some top quality cable when I do this. It's about 30' from the dish to the ground block, and about 60' to the receiver from there, so it will pay to use top quality cable and still not be too expensive.

Considering the "western arc" dish is the same price as the other dish, I'll probably just get that one, and the separator. I'm figuring the new dish, separator, and cable will be under $200, and doing it myself, I'll know it is done well, and done right. I'm expecting considerably better reception and fewer outages.

Again, thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)