Oval 3 LNB Dish Install Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ajjabba60

Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
:confused: I am installing an Oval 3 LNB dish to my existing Directv services and have run into a problem. When I do Auto Detection of the dish type with my Samsung receiver I get a message it failed. If I manually select the Oval 3 LNB dish it does the set up but I get no signal what so ever. I am getting about 17v at the dish end of the cable and only have about 60' of cable so that isnt a problem. The Mounting pole is plumb, the Tilt and Elevation are set to the reciever's recommendation. I point to the azimuth and no matter how much I swing I do not even get a blip of signal. HELP!

I feel your pain, I finally broke down and bought a cheap signal detector off of ebay to make sure I had the dish aligned properly a while back. Aside from going to a friends house and borrowing another reciever as a double blind check: you then have 2 options 1) keep at it and maybe buy a detector yourself or 2)call an installer. I recommend buying a signal detector yourself, because you never know when you may want to move you dish for some reason, even if you do call an installer.

I'm having the same problem although with an RCA DRD 430. Will not autodetect multiswitch, keeps coming back "failed". Will find a weak signal of what I think is 101, but comes back with "wrong satellite found" message. Single LNB dish works perfectly though.

If you still have a multiswitch inline, then your oval dish wont give you the new sat's. Make sure that all of your line runs are direct to the lnb, not to a multiswitch, then lnb. Also, check your new tilt and azimuth. The oval dish is pointed to different coordinants to catch all 3 birds.

No do not have a multiswitch in line. Am trying to upgrade from a single LNB. Coaxial goes directly to the one of the 4 outlets on the LNB. The receiver setup has an option to autodetect multiswitch. It keeps coming back "failed". Is his because the multiswitch is built-in?

What you have to realize that your receiver detects a signal not dish type. For exitance if you have a 3 lnb dish but it's only picking up the 101 sat on auto detect it will see it as a round dish. You have to pick all three signals the 101,119 & 110 sat for it to be detected as a 3 lnb dish.

The coordinate is only a base starting point. You have to tune in your signal for each sat. if your not exp. in aiming a dish I would recommend hiring a local installer to aim your dish. He should not charge you that much to aim the dish.

Get a cheap sat finder

Get one of those 10 dollar sat signal finders on Ebay or where ever... When I first got my system, I couldn't hit the satellite to save my life, once I got the cheap signal finder i had my system up and running in minutes. You will of course, have to fine tune it, but it will get you close enough to start. Usually you are moving the dish too fast for the receiver to catch and recognize the signal...But the cheapy signal finder starts whining and gets louder the closer you are to the mark.

nytevizion said:
Get one of those 10 dollar sat signal finders on Ebay or where ever... When I first got my system, I couldn't hit the satellite to save my life, once I got the cheap signal finder i had my system up and running in minutes. You will of course, have to fine tune it, but it will get you close enough to start. Usually you are moving the dish too fast for the receiver to catch and recognize the signal...But the cheapy signal finder starts whining and gets louder the closer you are to the mark.

Good advice however, a cheap signal finder will also lock on to E* satellites as well which can be quite confusing....

First go to the setup menu on you receiver and you should see a place to put in your zip code and select dish type.You will then see a screen that will give you the settings for the dish azimuth,elevation and skew/tilt.You dish should have come with a bubble level already in the mast,if so make sure that it is DEAD ON.If not remove the dish and use a torpedo level to plumb the mast.This is VERY IMPORTANT on any tripple LNB dish no matter what phase it is.Then set the dish to the propper elevation and skew,put it back on the mast and use a compass to find your azimuth.This should get you a signal that you can start fine tuning with.Just swing the dish either laft or right a couple degrees and the recheck signal strength.If it goes up keep going the same direction a couple degrees at a time untill it starts to fall back off,move it back to highest level and tighten the bolts.If the signal is still not great you can then try the same with the elevation.You should NOT have to touch the skew,the only time i ran into that is with a mast that is not plumb.

this is un-real!!!

what ird do you have the samsung??? or the d10 200 (same junk)

go to the settings, select round dish, (if it says override...do it), put the signal meter on tsp #3, get a 90 + , on the 101, the irds on directv will do NOTHING if the 101 is not locked, go back to the menu and do the oval dish 3 lnb schmere, hit ok (or select). go manually to the 119 sat and check the signal, if the 101 is at least 90 the 119 will (should) be at 96 the 110 HAS to be screaming. BTW they keep saying plumb, the mast has to be level and plumb!!! the phase 3 is a lot more forgiving than superjunk is BUT.....LEVEL AND PLUMB on the mast

....bob

Gentlemen, found out that my receiver DRD430RGA has a problem with picking up signals from a Phase III dish. Seems a technical bulletin was issued
January 30,2003.
"a choke coil in the IRD was found to be the problem"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts