over the air antenna for HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mickey92056

Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I have an over the air antenna to receive stations my cable company does NOT carry.Stations up to 100 miles.Reception is acceptable on analog tv set with Radio Shack amplifier between tv and antenna.

Switching to a samsung HD set with atsc tuner.

Questions:

Can I use my present outdoor antenna?If not,what antenna specs do I need ?

Other equipment needed or helpful?

When buying a new hd set for this purpose,what are the specs the set needs to include.

Are there other antenna amplifiers that are better for a simple home installation?

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't list your email as it will get harvested by spambots.

Most UHF/VHF antennas should work fine with digital if they are getting good signal with analog. The "digital antenna" stuff is mostly marketing.

This satellite forum is not the best place to ask this, there is a specific OTA related forum, scroll down further on the forum page.

Personally I would suggest a mast mounted preamp if you don't have that now, with a power inserter in the house. Something like the Channel Master Titan or Spartan.

Before buying your expensive HDTV you might consider buying a Zenith DTT900 "coupon eligible converter box" with the FCC $40 coupon discount. The Zenith has a very sensitive tuner and for roughly $25 (after coupon) you can use it to verify what OTA signal you have available via your current setup. It is much cheaper than a $1500 HDTV to find you don't have enough signal.

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a large hi-gain antenna already, it should get digital just fine, provided they light one up (a digital tower) in your reception area. As for the amp, give her a try.
google antennaweb.org and see if anyone is broadcasting in digital in your area yet.

I favor the site with the unlikely name, for info on how strong the signals from distant stations would be at your location: TVfool

Agreed, the other forum department is where you'll get the best info and advice on this problem.
HD Over the Air (OTA)
But from what you've said, you're on the right track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)