over the air antenna question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

krolmec

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Sorry for the newbie question. If I buy an in door antenna and run it through my hr20 will I have the option to record programs on locals in hd? If so, what channels would be my locals? Still 2, 4, 7 ? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the newbie question. If I buy an in door antenna and run it through my hr20 will I have the option to record programs on locals in hd? If so, what channels would be my locals? Still 2, 4, 7 ? Any help would be appreciated.

Doesn't matter whether your antenna is indoor, outdoor, or underwater. If you connect it to the HR20 OTA input, and have a signal, you can record it. Your specific locals depends on where you live.

UNDERWATER ??? Good luck in that one ....

Your HD channels should be the .1 or -1 depending on your set up.
You didn't say where you are at.
You mentioned 2, 4, 7. Sounds like Detroit, but I'm sure alot of others also use those channels.

in your situation 2 is analog, 2.1 should be your HD channel, 2.2 and or 3 may be a weather channel if your area does that.
Your multichannels should work the same for all your channels (OTA)
Generally an outdoor antenna is what I would reccomend, if it suits your situation, I find them to be much more stable, the digital channels are pickyier than the analog channels you could pick up with about anything, digital has to be pointed in the direction of the towers.
Check out this page for more info on your tower direction:
www.antennaweb.org

IF you do decide to go with the outdoor set up, and find that not all your towers are lined up in the same area, also look for a rotor toturn your antenna when nessasary, you won't be sorry.

Jimbo

I live in buffalo(14068). I was hoping to use an indoor antenna but dont have access to attic. What indoor antenna would you recommend? Should I get an amplified one

krolmec,
It looks like you are only 8-25 miles from your towers, so I would imagine that an indoor antenna may do ok for you.
I would reccomend the Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna, this has been a very good indoor unit and one of the most used indoor units from what posters here have to say.

Did you look at the antenna web site ?
It looks like you only have a few digital (HD) channels available to you.
Are you gouing to need analog as well, if so I think the SS unit only does digital.

It looks like you would get the following channels in digital HD:

FOX WUTV-DT 29.1

PBS WNED-DT 43.1

CW WNLO-DT 23.1

Any other networks would be analog and therefore NOT in HD.
That seems strange for the size of Buffalo, unless for some reason antenna web is giving me the wrong info.
I would think that all the networks would be in HD by now.
There are other from the Buffalo area, maybe they will chime in.

Jimbo

UNDERWATER ??? Good luck in that one ....

Jimbo

Hyperbole, Jimbo. Just making the point that it doesn't matter what the antenna is as long as it's got a signal and is attached to the proprer connector. Obviously RF doesn't travel underwater.

Krolmec, I've had decent results using rabbbit-ears, the kind with a small directional disc between them and a small amp/power-supply. If you don't mind having visible antennae in your room it can work if you're close-enough to the towers. In my case it's about 20 miles and the rabbit ears in my bedroom are not fully-extended, and the signal is very good.

Hyperbole, Jimbo. Just making the point that it doesn't matter what the antenna is as long as it's got a signal and is attached to the proprer connector. Obviously RF doesn't travel underwater.

jpm,
I know,
I just thought it was an interesting statement :)

Jimbo

NiFi, did you say I would not be able to get 2, 4 , 7 with indoor antenna?

Buy a antenna from a name brand store in case you have to return it. you will most likley go through a few before you get one that picks everything up. I live 10-12 miles from antenna farm but no indoor antennas worked for me.

I bought an antenna at Circuit city I think its a phillips power supplied antenna (im at work)., I seem to get abc, nbc good with cbs in and out which works at night, no fox or pbs. My wife is nagging about seeing rabbit ears which Ive tried to minimize the best I can with out losing all reception. Are the antenna ears responsible for abc, nbc, cbs or is the middle square?

The square as the HD is UHF, try and dial in towards grand island if you want the fox, pbs, i am surprised your picking up the nbc , abc, cbs with the indoor as they are roughly towards East aurora, bad weather may change your scenario though.

See post 5, I see only 3 stations having digital signals available to you.

Jimbo

Much more than that here Jimbo as i install in this area daily, antenna web doesnt include the canadians we get here either.

ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,PBS, CW,UPN and some more including a few canadians depending on the area are easily available on a standard UHF exterior antenna we use.

I bought an antenna at Circuit city I think its a phillips power supplied antenna (im at work)., I seem to get abc, nbc good with cbs in and out which works at night, no fox or pbs. My wife is nagging about seeing rabbit ears which Ive tried to minimize the best I can with out losing all reception. Are the antenna ears responsible for abc, nbc, cbs or is the middle square?

wives generally don't like indoor antennae, so if you like your wife it might be time to surrender, get a refund on the ears, and stick an outdoor antenna on the roof. otherwise, it's trial-and-error, adjust the ears (length, angle, and rotation) and rotate the disc, until your reception is optimal.

The square as the HD is UHF, try and dial in towards grand island if you want the fox, pbs, i am surprised your picking up the nbc , abc, cbs with the indoor as they are roughly towards East aurora, bad weather may change your scenario though.

Much more than that here Jimbo as i install in this area daily, antenna web doesnt include the canadians we get here either.

ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,PBS, CW,UPN and some more including a few canadians depending on the area are easily available on a standard UHF exterior antenna we use.

Are they all digital ?

Do you get canadian channels inHD the same way as here in the US, as a .1 channel ?

I am waiting for CBC to go HD so I can watch HNIC again, hopefully the Windsor tower will go live soon, hopefull, but not expecting it.

Jimbo

UPN, no, others are all digital, CFTO is in HD from canada( 5-1), not all the time, but just like most US, the prime time programming is. Only thing is, their prime time stuff is all the same as ours. :rolleyes:

I have a Radio Shack indoor vhf/uhf amplified with click button.
I pick up 2 (2), 4, 7 (3), 29 (2), 49 (2), 23, 17 (3) with no problems. All are digital either HD or SD.
I live in Buffalo on the east side between Genesee and Delavan off Bailey near Schiller Park.
Best reception for all is to not try to get 49. Sometimes 7.3 or 2 may break up a bit depending on weather. I will eventually try an outdoor or first add a longer cable and move the antenna upstairs near a window.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts