Overcompression on Dish??

Mound

Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
WOW! Nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I see it mostly on ESPN during basketball games (and now on TNT basketball). It's like the picture is fine for a minute, and the "stutters", like going into slow motion. It's very annoying. I've had 3 techs out to look at it and none seem to have an answer. First guy changed the box (DVR625), second guy repointed the dish, third guy (the Field Service Manager) changed all my connections. He said he would talk to enigineering to find the problem and get back to me. 3 weeks and still no answer. At least they let me out of the contract whenever I want with no penalty. Never had this with DirecTv. Maybe I'll just go back to cable. It's sad, cuz I like the DVR and the programming.

This is all with a 625 DVR and a Sony 32" wega. Same problem on my crappy 20" too.

WOW! Nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I see it mostly on ESPN during basketball games (and now on TNT basketball). It's like the picture is fine for a minute, and the "stutters", like going into slow motion. It's very annoying. I've had 3 techs out to look at it and none seem to have an answer. First guy changed the box (DVR625), second guy repointed the dish, third guy (the Field Service Manager) changed all my connections. He said he would talk to enigineering to find the problem and get back to me. 3 weeks and still no answer. At least they let me out of the contract whenever I want with no penalty. Never had this with DirecTv. Maybe I'll just go back to cable. It's sad, cuz I like the DVR and the programming.

This is all with a 625 DVR and a Sony 32" wega. Same problem on my crappy 20" too.

I have three DVR622's. All of them have "stuttered" several times. They usually do it for about ten seconds. This happens maybe once a month.

I've noticed that pucks are hard to see. TV has always had this problem with hockey. Anyone remember the great idea of the "glow puck" fox put out in the mid 90's. Although I'm not overly impressed by the PQ I'm not going to say it's any worse than cable. My complaint would be having to pay for the 250 package just to see postseason hockey.

I've noticed that pucks are hard to see. TV has always had this problem with hockey. Anyone remember the great idea of the "glow puck" fox put out in the mid 90's. Although I'm not overly impressed by the PQ I'm not going to say it's any worse than cable. My complaint would be having to pay for the 250 package just to see postseason hockey.
I remember the "glow puck." I didn't like it, but being an avid Red Wings fan, I am used to not having it, so it was a tolerated annoyance for me, but for others in my family who didn't watch hockey regularly, it helped them to follow it.

As for the 250 package comment, I whole heartedly agree. I wish NHL would drop Versus as the network to carry it, as I can't get it (due to cost).

Geoff

Only way to cure this is to get HD. The HD at least so far has much less compression than the SD channels. They are only mildly soft for HD, but they are 1000x better than the SD channels.

What is sad is that if the DBS/Cable providers really wanted to do it, they could make the SD look almost as good as the compressed HD. They just know putting more channels on the system is better for sales than the picture quality. HD is getting more and more compressed, it was nice when Dish first started with full HD... SD has been bad for about 8 years.

we'll just have to wait for the all mpeg 4 system. I'm sure that even compressed, should look very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts