Overscan issue with the ViP211?

1080please

Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I don't know if anyone has posted this problem before but there is an annoying overscan issue I am having with all HD images via HDMI and vip211.

The picture seems to be "overscaning" only HD images, for instance..
If I watch NBC news in NY and when they show the HD image banner that goes across the screen the image Is zoomed in a bit with half of the letter "H" in "HD" cutout.

Now I thought this was an issue with my DLP TV, but I have checked out the same channel using the coaxial input using an antenna the image is complete showing the full word "HD" and more information on the bottom of the screen.
I haven't noticed any "overscaning" on anything else but the Vip211 connection.

Has anyone else noticed this???

I've seen the exact same issue on a 622! Even the bottom line of the EPG is mostly cut off. Happens with HDMI and component connections. OTA through my sets built in tuner or the OTA tuner in the 622 is fine. I was about to try to get an RMA for my box, but if others are seeing it, it may be a software issue. I better call tech support either way, I guess.

I've seen the exact same issue on a 622! Even the bottom line of the EPG is mostly cut off. Happens with HDMI and component connections. OTA through my sets built in tuner or the OTA tuner in the 622 is fine. I was about to try to get an RMA for my box, but if others are seeing it, it may be a software issue. I better call tech support either way, I guess.

What set do you have?
Mine is an 1080p DLP.
Please let me know what tech support tells you.

My 411 also overscans HD programming. I've also noticed that the overscanning on OTA channels is worse than that of the satellite channels. For example, with the ABC HD station from Dish, the right 1/4 of the logo in the bottom right corner is missing. On my OTA ABC station, 1/2 of the logo is missing.

John

My 411 also overscans HD programming. I've also noticed that the overscanning on OTA channels is worse than that of the satellite channels. For example, with the ABC HD station from Dish, the right 1/4 of the logo in the bottom right corner is missing. On my OTA ABC station, 1/2 of the logo is missing.

John

I now also noticed overscaning on 4:3 sd channels aswell.
This must be a software issue with Dish's boxes and I am real surprised there isn't more of an uproar from people about this.
I didn't notice this issue untill as I said in my first post when I saw my local NBC news station, and did a comparison with the OTA version (connected directly to my TV) which shows more information on the screen.

This is most likely a real dumb question, but have you gone through the format push button selections on the lower left of the remote? I have the 211 Rx and don't see any overscan issues with no zoom selected, but I'm not set up with the HDMI cable yet so I'm using the componet outputs. Have you tried the componet outputs to see if there is a diff???

I have no overscan issues with either HDMI or component with a VIP211 and Samsung DLP. I had a similar problem to what you describe with an older Sony and the 811 in the past, but the fault was with the Sony. Your set may process each input in a different way, causing the problem you see. Possibly there are adjustments available within the service menu of your TV that can solve this.

Overscanning is not a function of the receiver, but a function of the display. Adjust your display. Go to AVSForum.com and look at the forum from your display to see how to adjust the overscan. Each input on the display has its own discrete settings, so each has to be set seperately.

I have no overscan issues with either HDMI or component with a VIP211 and Samsung DLP. I had a similar problem to what you describe with an older Sony and the 811 in the past, but the fault was with the Sony. Your set may process each input in a different way, causing the problem you see. Possibly there are adjustments available within the service menu of your TV that can solve this.

I have a DLP aswell and I am kinda positive it's a issue with the ViP211 as I don't see this as a problem with any other device connected to the set.
If you can try viewing a comparison of the same OTA channel wuth the ViP211 and then via an antenna connection thats direct to your set and see if you notice anything different in aspect ratio.

Overscanning is not a function of the receiver, but a function of the display. Adjust your display. Go to AVSForum.com and look at the forum from your display to see how to adjust the overscan. Each input on the display has its own discrete settings, so each has to be set seperately.

Do you know If a company like Samsung would consider this service call for a tech to come out and fix it?, AVS talks bout going into the TV service menu and Im kind of nervous about doing that.
It would void my warranty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)